A patient of the West Demerara Regional Hospital (WDRH) is now dead after he reportedly jumped from the facility’s male ward.Sixty-two-year-old Mortimer Sagan of Meten-Meer-Zorg, West Coast Demerara, took his life by jumping through a window of the said ward.According to information received by Guyana Times, the incident occurred around 19:00h on Sunday at the facility.Reports are that the man, who was admitted as a tuberculosis patient, after jumping ended up on a septic tank and reportedly died on the spot.It is unclear what motivated Sagan’s actions. The Police are currently investigating the matter.Meanwhile, the West Dem Hospital only recently made headlines when doctors attached to the hospital refused to work and took strike action as a result of failure on the part of the Public Health Ministry to address their numerous concerns.The hospital was left in a state of panic when all doctors of the medical facility downed their equipment and refused to work.The doctors, via a letter sent to their medical superintendent which was copied and sent to all levels, outlined a number of concerns that affects them and vowed to strike if no response was given.The letter which was seen by this publication stated, “…this letter serves to inform you that the staff of the Accident and Emergency Unit of the West Demerara Regional Hospital are disappointed, frustrated, disgusted and fed-up of the way in which our daily verbal grievances are being handled. To date we have not seen any measures implemented within our department to alleviate our struggles or worries”.The letter continues, “the staffers of the Emergency Unit no longer feel safe in their working environment. They no longer feel motivated to provide the best patient care since supportive structure and drugs are on regular shortage or absent. They no longer feel the need to go above and beyond because they feel that the administrative body does not care and have swept all of their relevant and legitimate concerns aside”.The doctors were calling for better security at the facility following a number of incidents where doctors were either physically attacked or verbally abused by patients and others.In fact, a recent incident saw two doctors being attacked by a patient and his relatives and were even spat upon. The doctors have since been calling for the Public Health Ministry to tighten security services at the facility.
The N.E. B.C. and Yukon Trackers will be on the bus this weekend for trips to Peace River and Grande Prairie. The team will take on the Peace River Royals tomorrow night before doing it all again in Grande Prairie against the Storm Saturday evening.The Trackers go into the weekend with a mark of 13-14-2.The club will conclude their regular season on Sunday at home against Slave Lake at 1 p.m.- Advertisement –
Filip Djuricic Mainz have beaten Newcastle to the signing of Serbian star Filip Djuricic.Magpies manager Alan Pardew is in the market for new forwards after Loic Remy returned to parent club QPR at the end of his loan.He had been strongly linked with Benfica’s Djuricic, who failed to establish himself during his first season in Portugal following his switch from Heerenveen last summer.Newcastle reportedly attempted to sign him during January but Benfica were still hopeful of getting the best out of the 22-year-old.But, as talkSPORT told you in April, it was reported that the two clubs had opened negotiations about a summer switch for Djuricic.However the Premier League club will have to look elsewhere after he completed a season-long loan move to Bundesliga side Mainz. 1
The wife of prominent criminal defense attorney and TV legal analyst Daniel Horowitz was found slain in the entryway of the couple’s home in a wealthy San Francisco Bay Area suburb, authorities said Sunday. Horowitz, currently leading the defense in a sensational murder trial, called 911 Saturday evening to report that he found his wife, Pamela Vitale, dead in their home, police said. Contra Costa County sheriff’s deputies said Sunday that the death was being investigated as a homicide. An autopsy was planned today to determine how she was killed. “We talked to a number of people last night, but there’s nobody in custody. We’re still trying to establish a motive,” said spokesman Jimmy Lee. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week As a lawyer who defended drug dealers, Death Row inmates and other criminals, Horowitz was concerned for his safety, said attorney Ivan Golde, a longtime friend and co-counsel in his current trial. He was armed with a gun and other weapons. There was a surveillance camera on the property, but the terrain was too rugged and isolated to monitor fully. “It’s only normal to have in the back of your mind, especially when you’re dealing with true-caliber criminals,” Golde said. “A lot of these people that’s the way they are, they threaten people.” Golde, who said he spoke to Horowitz on Saturday, wouldn’t offer details about Vitale’s death, but said she was not shot. About 20 officers and investigators from the Lafayette Police Department and the county Sheriff’s Department were at the home Sunday morning. They did not release any other information. A deputy was posted at the bottom of a steep driveway leading to the home and a canopy of trees blocked views of the property, located on a sprawling hillside estate about 20 miles east of San Francisco. The couple was living in a trailer on the property while their dream home was being built, Golde said. Horowitz and Vitale had each been previously married before they wed about 10 years ago. Vitale, 52, a former high-tech marketing executive, worked at her husband’s law practice, creating and managing databases. “The two were so intertwined with each other,” Golde said. “They were perfect for each other and it was a great marriage. We’re all just in total shock.” Horowitz did not answer calls Sunday by The Associated Press. He told the San Francisco Chronicle on Saturday that he couldn’t talk. “It’s beyond words,” he said. Horowitz, 50, is a regular television legal analyst who appears frequently on CNN, MSNBC and Fox News and was a frequent commentator during the Laci Peterson murder trial. He is also a successful criminal defense attorney known for handling high-profile cases. Horowitz was the lawyer for former Ukrainian Prime Minister Pavlo Lazarenko in a multicount money-laundering and fraud trial. In May, a judge threw out half of the convictions against Lazarenko, who is under house arrest at an undisclosed location in the Bay Area. Horowitz also represented Steve Williams, the man who snagged Barry Bonds’ 700th home run ball, in a lawsuit to determine who could keep the ball. Currently, he is defending Susan Polk, accused of murder in the 2002 stabbing death of her psychologist husband in the pool house of their Orinda home, a trial that has gained national media attention. Polk’s husband, Felix, was her therapist when she was a teenager, and she claims she killed him in self-defense. Vitale sat in the front row of the courtroom last week during Horowitz’s opening statement, Golde said. “She was down to earth and she was cool and believed in what Dan was doing,” Golde said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
9 September 2010In the dusty streets of Mathare in Nairobi, Kenya, dreams were nurtured as the young people of the township celebrated the opening of the Mathare Football for Hope Centre – the second of 20 such centres being built across Africa as a legacy of the 2010 Fifa World Cup™.The facility has brought a new sense of belief to the youth of this area – a place where young people are confronted with social challenges such as unemployment, crime, illiteracy, HIV/Aids and poor sanitation.This is the first centre to be opened outside South Africa. The inaugural centre was opened in Khayelitsha township on the outskirts of Cape Town last year as part of the 20 Centres for 2010 campaign initiated ahead of the World Cup.The programme aims to build 20 centres around Africa that will address some of the challenges faced by the continent, including education and public health.The Football for Hope centres will feature football mini-pitches along with classrooms and health care facilities, providing young people with access to counselling, health and educational services.For Silas Lukale, the opening of the Mathare Football for Hope Centre has great significance. Born in poverty-stricken area of Kayole, just a stone’s throw away from Mathare, Lukale is hoping that the Centre will empower many others like him and help to improve their lives.“The reality is, when you come from here, opportunities are very scarce. Sometimes there is a will, but without opportunities that doesn’t really help,” Lukale told Fifa.com on Saturday after playing an exhibition match on the new astro-turf pitch at Mathare. “I believe this will create such opportunities, it will inspire many people my age to start dreaming beyond their current circumstances.”The Mathare Football for Hope Centre will be run by the Mathare Youth Sports Association (MYSA). The centre will help MYSA its leadership training, environmental clean-ups, HIV/Aids awareness campaigns and other community-oriented activities.Fifa’s head of corporate social responsibility, Federico Addiechi, said there was “no better deserving organisation to host this centre than MYSA. They have done a lot of good work for the Kenyan youth for the past two decades, and we hope that this centre will further strengthen their work.”MYSA chairman Bob Munro was upbeat about the possibilities that will be created by the Mathare Football for Hope Centre. “For the last 24 years, MYSA has provided hope to many young people. We believe that football is a powerful tool to communicate our message, and that is where this centre will play a vital role.”Jan Coetzee, project manager of Streetfootballworld, a partner in the 20 Centres for 2010 programme, said: “After seeing the enthusiasm in our centre in Khayelitsha, I think we now see the value out of these centres.”Six further centres are due to be completed in the next four to five months in Namibia, Mali, Rwanda, Ghana, Lesotho and Mokopane, South Africa.Source: Fifa.com
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has rejected suspended Pakistan cricketer Salman Butt’s application to delay the hearing into the spot-fixing allegations against him and two other cricketers from his country.Thus, the hearing will take place as scheduled from January 6-11 in Doha.Butt along with pace duo of Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Aamer were suspended by the ICC when allegation of spot-fixing surfaced against them during the Lord’s Test against England in September.Michael Beloff, Chairman of the ICC Anti-Corruption Tribunal, heard the plea Butt’s legal representation and ruled against the adjournment, Wednesday night.”Mr Beloff, the Chairman of the ICC Anti-Corruption Tribunal, following a lengthy telephone hearing and having received written submissions, has ruled that Mr Butt’s application is denied and as such, the full hearing will take place as scheduled from 6-11 January 2011 in Doha, Qatar,” an ICC statement said.It was only Butt who wanted a delay in the hearing and both Asif and Aamer were keen that hearing takes place as soon as possible.Butt wanted Scotland Yard to complete its separate investigation into the issue before facing the ICC hearing.- With PTI inputs
zoom Russia’s state-owned shipping company Sovcomflot has placed its first order for a $316 million worth liquefied natural gas (LNG) carrier.South Korean shipbuilder, Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering Co. Ltd. (DSME) will be responsible for the construction of this ARC7 ice-class tanker, the first of its kind in the industry.This vessel kicks off a $5 billion newbuild program under which 16 icebreaking LNG carriers will be built. The vessel will be used for transportation of liquefied natural gas from a gas field in the Yamal Peninsula (Yamal LNG), western part of Siberia.Delivery of the ship is slated for June 2016.Background:Back in July last year, after considering proposals of seven world-leading shipyards, DSME was announced as the winner of the tender and Yamal LNG signed a slot reservation agreement with the shipyard.The agreement stipulates the options to build, launch, equip, complete and deliver up to 16 tankers and establishes the preliminary prices of the tankers and the timing of their launch and delivery.According to the provisions of the agreement, the shipyard will optimize the hull design of the vessels and conduct model tests to improve the overall tanker performance. The agreement also allows for the transfer of rights to finance the tankers’ construction and purchase of the tankers to third parties – shipping companies chosen by Yamal LNG.The ARC7 ice-class LNG carriers will enable year round deliveries of LNG produced by the Yamal LNG project and will be designed for ambient temperatures of up to minus 50°C and independent navigation in ice more than 2.1 meters thick.Yamal LNG project envisages the construction of an LNG plant with annual capacity of 16.5 million tons per annum based on the feedstock resources of the South-Tambeyskoye field. According to the PRMS reserve standards, the proven and probable reserves of the South-Tambeyskoye field as of 31 December 2012 were appraised at 907 billion cubic meters of natural gas. The Project also requires the construction of transport infrastructure including a sea-port and an airport located at Sabetta (north-east of the Yamal Peninsula).Yamal LNG is currently owned by NOVATEK (80%) and Total (20%). WMN Staff, March 17, 2014
Carnival Cruise Line’s newest ship, the 133,500-ton Carnival Horizon, completed its final sea trials in the Adriatic Sea earlier this week in anticipation of its inaugural cruise in April 2018.Currently in the final stages of construction at the Fincantieri shipyard in Marghera, Italy, the 3,974-passenger vessel had a full contingent of officers, technicians and engineers on board who thoroughly tested Carnival Horizon’s sophisticated technical, mechanical and navigation systems, the company said.As the newest ship in the fleet, Carnival Horizon is set to debut on April 2, 2018, with a 13-day Mediterranean cruise from Barcelona – the first of four round-trip departures from that port.The ship will then re-position to the US with a 14-day trans-Atlantic crossing from Barcelona to New York from May 9 to 23, 2018.Following its summer schedule of four-day Bermuda and eight-day Caribbean departures from the Big Apple, Carnival Horizon will shift to Miami and kick off a year-round schedule of six- and eight-day Caribbean cruises beginning September 22, 2018. Carnival Horizon will also offer a special two-day cruise to Nassau from Miami from September 20 to 22, 2018.Launched in March this year, the 133,500 gross ton newbuilding is the company’s second Vista-class ship. The first ship from the batch, Carnival Vista, was handed over to the company in April 2016. In addition, the third Vista-class vessel is currently under construction at the shipyard in Marghera.Featuring a length of 321.5 meters and a width of 37.2 meters, Carnival Horizon will be able to accommodate a total of more than 6,400 people on board.Image Courtesy: Carnival
zoomImage by WMN Unionized workers of the Croatian struggling shipbuilder Uljanik Group have decided to resume strike on December 2.The new strike wave comes just two weeks after workers decided to suspend strikes at all company facilities.In line with the decision, the workers have downed their tools but have not yet decided whether they will undertake other industrial measures such as street protests.The workers are disgruntled due to the lack of progress on the restructuring of the company and fear the shipbuilder is on the brink of bankruptcy.President of the striking committee, Boris Cerovac, told N1 TV that the general strike also includes sub-contractors, who have stopped working on the polar cruise ship being built for Australian company Scenic.As explained, unfortunately there is no other solution in sight for workers, who cannot afford to struggle and wait any longer. However, potential bankruptcy would probably signal the end of Uljanik Group, he fears.The delivery of the luxury cruise ship, named Scenic Eclipse, which was ordered in 2015, has been delayed until late January 2019, due to the ongoing issues at Uljanik.Scenic Eclipse was originally scheduled to deploy on its maiden voyage from Athens to Venice on August 31, before sailing to the Arctic and Norwegian Fjords.The Croatian government is in the process of finding a strategic partner for the company’s restructuring.World Maritime News Staff
The province will hire more teachers as part of its commitment to ensure class sizes for the youngest students remain at the lowest level in a generation. “I am pleased to announce that government will hire about 45 new elementary teachers,” said Education Minister Ramona Jennex today, Sept. 27. “Keeping class sizes low gives our youngest students the early attention and support they need. More teachers in our classrooms and smaller class sizes for students in grades Primary to 3 means every student will have an equal opportunity to be successful.” This month, school boards submitted class sizes. Those numbers showed that most Primary to 3 classes were well below historic averages, but some were too large. “While 85 per cent of Primary to 3 classes have fewer than 25 students, some classes are simply too big,” Ms. Jennex said. “Government said it would keep class sizes low, and today we are doing exactly that. It is not fair for young students to face higher class sizes because they live in an area of growing enrolment or other reasons beyond their control.” Ms. Jennex said the new board data shows that about 45 new teachers are needed to ensure Primary to Grade 3 classes won’t exceed 25 students. School boards will begin reducing class sizes. To ensure they remain low, the province will require school boards to cap the number of students at 25, where possible. “I talked to parents, teachers, and met with the new teachers’ union president,” said Ms. Jennex. “Together we were able to identify where support was needed and ensure class sizes will be low. “Our students are lucky to have such passionate and dedicated teachers at the front of their classes. We value their hard work and are pleased to be able to bring more of them into our schools this year.” Nova Scotia Teachers Union president Shelley Morse applauded the announcement. “We are pleased that Minister Jennex has listened to teachers and parents about the concerns with class-size caps in the lower elementary grades,” said Ms. Morse. “This helps to ensure that our excellent educators in classrooms across the province are being supported in meeting the learning needs of students in grades primary to 3.” Reducing class sizes will mean changes in class makeups. Ms. Jennex asked that parents, students and teachers work together to ensure a smooth transition to smaller classes. “Our young people need to have a good start at school,” said Mat Whynott, ministerial assistant for Youth. “That’s why government is taking this action, in addition to new initiatives under the Kids and Learning First plan, like programs to help struggling readers with literacy and a new curriculum for math.”