President Maithripala Sirisena and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe had been issued summons in the case earlier but they informed court of their unavailability owing to official duties. President Maithripala Sirisena and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe were today issued notice to appear in court in the case involving former United National Party (UNP) General Secretary Tissa Attanayake.The Colombo High Court today heard the case filed against Attanayake who has been accused of presenting forged documents ahead of the last Presidential election. The Colombo High Court today re-issued the notice on the President and Prime Minister and the case will be heard again in December. (Colombo Gazette)
“Sudan stands poised between peace and conflict in 2005,” Secretary-General Kofi Annan’s Special Representative for Sudan Jan Pronk said. “The long-suffering people of the country have rarely faced a period of greater opportunity for peace in the last 20 years. The primary responsibility to realize this future lies with their leaders – who must not fail in this moment of truth.” But, he added, “The international aid community also has an important and irreplaceable role to play.” Apart from Darfur, where 2.2 million people are affected by war, including 1.6 million internally displaced people (IDPs), the appeal seeks over $550 million for recovery, development and humanitarian programmes in the south, where prospects of peace between the Government and rebels could herald a flood of returning refugees. Another $300 million is sought for national programmes to support the implementation of the peace agreement and critical assistance activities there and in eastern areas of Sudan. Some 640,000 to 1.2 million IDPs and refugees are expected to return to their areas of origin in 2005, mainly to Southern Sudan, where there are already 1.5 million IDPs and conflict affected people. The IDP and vulnerable population is also important in other regions such as eastern Sudan where they number 319,000. The multitude of sectors covered by the appeal include education and training, food aid, health, mine action, multi-sector support for return and reintegration of IDPs and refugees, rehabilitation of transport infrastructure, rule of law and good governance, shelter and supplies, water and environmental sanitation, and disarmament, demobilization and reintegration of former combatants. “Without adequate support to save the lives of millions of vulnerable Sudanese and helping to rebuild destroyed communities, the chances of a lasting peace diminish,” Mr. Pronk said. The revised Consolidated Appeal for the Sudan Assistance Plan for 2004 sought $720 million.
by Ian Bickis, The Canadian Press Posted Jun 8, 2016 2:14 pm MDT Last Updated Jun 9, 2016 at 7:00 am MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email Premier Brad Wall says oil and gas industry losing public relations battle Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall speaks to media on budget day at the Legislative Building in Regina on Wednesday June 1, 2016. Wall says he’s worried the energy industry is losing the public relations battle against environmentalists and it needs to redouble efforts to get out its side of the story.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Michael Bell CALGARY – The energy industry is losing the public relations battle against environmentalists and needs to redouble efforts to get out its side of the story, Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall said Wednesday.“Today there continues an existential threat to this industry,” said Wall.“It’s posed by … some who just aren’t that comfortable that we have all this oil and what oil might mean. And it’s also posed by some who just want to shut it down completely.”Wall made the remarks Wednesday in a speech at the Petroleum Club in Calgary to the Explorers and Producers Association of Canada, which represents small and medium oil and gas producers.He said the industry needs to do a better job of promoting the benefits it provides and continue to ask questions of its critics.“Frankly, we’re in the middle of a battle and we haven’t been winning many battles,” Wall said. “I fear we’re in danger of losing more battles if we’re not vigilant.”He also criticized the backers of the anti fossil-fuel Leap Manifesto, which he referred to as “grim leapers,” for what he said was their profound snobbery against the sector and their “magical thinking.”Responding to Wall’s comments, Greenpeace campaigner Keith Stewart said in an email that inaction on climate change is creating a much bigger existential threat.“Brad Wall is correct insofar as any serious effort to deal with climate change does pose an existential threat to the oil industry,” said Stewart. “But as climate scientists keep reminding us, failing to rein in global warming poses an existential threat to everyone else.”Wall also reiterated his opposition to provincial and federal carbon taxes, saying it’s not the right time to introduce such levies as the oil and gas industry struggles to survive amid low energy prices.“We do not think it’s the right time for any more surprises. We think they’re for birthday parties, they’re not for an economy when it’s in many respects facing the headwinds of lower commodity prices,” said Wall.He took the opportunity to invite more oil and gas investment in Saskatchewan, one day after Alberta passed its carbon tax legislation.—Follow @ibickis on Twitter.
Yet relatively little research has been done on giraffes, compared with other large animals such as elephants, rhinoceroses, gorillas and lions, say the researchers.Prof Janke and his team looked at DNA taken from skin samples from 190 giraffes from across Africa.Analysis showed there were four highly distinct groups of giraffe, which apparently do not mate with each other in the wild. Scientists have stuck their necks out and decided that the giraffe is not one species, but four.Until now, only a single species of giraffe made up of several sub-species had been recognised.But new DNA evidence shows that four distinct species of the animals exist – and they are genetically at least as different as brown and polar bears. The unexpected discovery, published in the journal Current Biology, highlights the urgent need to protect the world’s tallest mammal, say researchers.Geneticist Professor Axel Janke, from Goethe University in Germany, said: “We were extremely surprised, because the morphological and coat pattern differences between giraffe are limited.”Giraffes are in dramatic decline across their range in Africa. In the last three decades their numbers have dropped from more than 150,000 individuals to fewer than 100,000. Giraffes have already become extinct in seven countries. They are killed for their meat and their habitats are being destroyedSir David Attenborough There are four types of giraffeCredit:Jean-Francois Monier Researchers looked at giraffes’ DNACredit:Gareth Fuller /PA The scientists categorised four species of the animal: the southern giraffe (Giraffa giraffa), the Masaigiraffe (Giraffa tippelskirchi), the reticulated giraffe (Giraffa reticulata), and the northern giraffe(Giraffa camelopardalis).The northern giraffe includes the elusive sub-species, the Nubian giraffe, from Ethiopia and South Sudan. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. Earlier this year Sir David Attenborough told the Telegraph that giraffes are facing a “silent extinction” as their numbers in the wild dwindle.“These gentle giants have been overlooked,” he said. “ It’s well known that African elephants are in trouble and there are perhaps just under half a million left.“But what no one realised is there are far fewer giraffes. Giraffes have already become extinct in seven countries. They are killed for their meat and their habitats are being destroyed. Time is running out.” Giraffe populations are on the declineCredit:Jean-Francois Monier /AFP
The number of patients seeking hip surgery has risen significantly amid an ageing population Credit:Alamy Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. “Arbitrary” rationing measures restricting NHS surgery to those in most pain must be lifted, health officials have ruled.NHS England has warned clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) to stop denying hip and knee operations to patients using criteria which only allow surgery to those in the worst discomfort.Health officials intervened after warnings from the Royal College of Surgeons of “alarming” restrictions on surgery, with patients told they could only have surgery on the NHS if pain left them unable to sleep or carry out daily tasks.NHS England has now issued advice that such restrictions are not allowed, with local health officials told they should follow guidance from central rationing bodies.Noting that “a number of CCGs in England are rationing large joint replacements using arbitrary cut offs” – using a system to measure pain levels – advice from regional officials warns against such actions.Local services have also been warned not to restrict surgery for smokers and obese patients – although delaying operations while giving patients help to lose weight and quit smoking is endorsed. A separate memo from NHS England urges all organisations to follow guidance from the National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (Nice), which says surgery should be considered “before there is prolonged and established functional limitation and severe pain.” The letter, from Matthew Cripps, national director for “NHS RightCare” and Peter Kay, a consultant hip and knee surgeon from the Whittington Hospital, says: “For some indicators, such as elective activity, investment cannot be interpreted as poor or good value without further investigation… There is strong evidence that hip and knee replacements are extremely cost-effective interventions when warranted by clinical need and patient preference.”The disclosures, reported in Health Service Journal, were welcomed by surgeons.Clare Marx, President of the Royal College of Surgeons, said: “It is extremely welcome news that NHS England has now intervened to discourage clinically unacceptable rationing of surgery in the NHS.”However, she urged NHS England to go further, and to instruct CCGs to lift any unfair restrictions on surgery.“The guidance in this letter is a very welcome start. However, it only criticises the rationing of hip and knee surgery. Patients are left wondering about the validity of restrictions to other types of surgery and NHS treatment,” she said. “Given this very clear intervention from NHS England we strongly encourage CCGs to reverse any existing discriminatory policies.”Three commissioning bodies in the West Midlands came under fire in January for drawing up policies to restrict hip and knee operations to those most in pain. The move followed widespread restrictions in access to treatments, drugs and IVF across the country, after the NHS recorded the worst deficit in its history.
The Clark County Medical Examiner’s Office identified the Vancouver husband and wife killed in a murder-suicide last week.The homicide victim was identified as Sanella Polutan, 39, who died of multiple gunshot wounds, according to the medical examiner’s office.Ahmed Polutan, 43, died of multiple gunshot wounds to the chest, which was ruled a suicide, the agency said.The Vancouver Police Department’s major crimes detectives began investigating the murder-suicide Wednesday after a relative found the couple’s bodies at their house in the 31000 block of Northeast 115th Avenue.
By Sulayman Bah Barack Young Controllers (BYC) of Liberia has flown out to North ofAfrica, Morocco for their final preparation, Foroyaa Sport can report.The Liberia Football Association domestic league champions are drawnwith Gambian counterparts Real de Banjul and are set to jet in Banjulfor the Orange Caf Champions League first leg preliminary qualifier.The club comprising a strong 39-man delegation is in Rabat to put thefinal touches to their preparations with a test match with one ofMoroccan clubs there even being mooted.“They are to come on Thursday 5 or 6 in the morning. The team is inMorocco,’ Real de Banjul’s Willy Abraham told Foroyaa Sport.BYC proposed arrival has caused much noise and media publicity amidfears of the spread of ebola – a rampaging virus that has claimedthousand lives – with Liberia one of countries hit by the epidemic.As part of precautionary measures, the club is expected to be screenedfirst when they touch down at the Gambia International Airport.There were initial doubts of the match taking place this Saturday atthe Banjul mini-stadium following the Monrovia press claim on Mondayauthorities in Banjul have placed orders urging Air Maroc not to flythe team to the Gambia.]]>
Neymar’s father has debunked reports linking the Brazilian star player with a return to Barcelona in the summer.Spanish outlet El Mundo reported on Thursday that the Paris Saint Germain forward is desperate for a return after leaving he club in controversial circumstances, according to Sports Mole.Neymar Sr insists that there is no truth to the speculation, however, posting the message “Fake News from Fake News” alongside Globo Esporte’s version of events according to Sports mole.Quiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.Neymar joined Paris Saint Germain in a controversial 222 million euro transfer in 2017 and has become fan’s favourite after scoring 46 goals from 50 appearances in all competitions.Neymar’s stay at PSG has been fraught with controversies as It was earlier reported of a fallout with Cavani after a disagreement over the team’s spot-kick taker.A return to Barcelona will see him reunite with former teammates Messi and Suarez who he had a brilliant combination with while at Camp Nou.
Posted: February 3, 2019 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – San Diego County Sheriff’s deputies plan to increase their DUI patrol presence today between 3 p.m. and 5 a.m. Monday morning due to Super Bowl LIII.The Sheriff’s department reminded drivers that DUI charges aren’t just reserved for alcohol and include driving while impaired by marijuana or prescription drugs. County residents are advised to plan their way home prior to kickoff by designating a sober driver, using a ride-booking service or taking public transit.“There is simply no excuse for impaired driving,” said San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore. “One bad decision can end in tragedy.”Residents who spot an impaired driver are advised to promptly call 9-1-1. The Sheriff’s enhanced DUI patrols are paid for via a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration grant, administered by the California Office of Traffic Safety. San Diego sheriff to increase Super Bowl Sunday DUI patrol KUSI Newsroom February 3, 2019 KUSI Newsroom, Categories: KUSI, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter
Smoke will be the most dense during the overnight and early morning hours through Thursday. A dense smoke advisory means widespread fires will create smoke, limiting visibilities. If driving, Slow down, use your headlights, and leave plenty of distance ahead of you in case a sudden stop is needed. The Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation has issued an Air Quality Advisory in effect through Wednesday afternoon for the Kenai Peninsula due to increased smoke activity from the Swan Lake Fire. Smoke from the Swan Lake fire will reduce visibilities to one quarter mile or less at times.Travel may be difficult due to low visibility. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The National Weather Service out of Anchorage has extended the dense smoke advisory for the interior Kenai Peninsula, including the Sterling Highway corridor from Sterling to Cooper Landing effective until 1pm, Thursday. Persons with respiratory problems may have difficulty breathing when outside. For more information on Air Quality, please visit www.dec.alaska.gov. This advisory included the cities of Kenai, Soldotna, Homer, and Cooper Landing.