The limping visitors will take a no-excuse approach into Friday’s match at Eden Park featuring two teams seeking to avoid twin losses to start their season.Both fell short in the South Island last weekend – the Blues beaten 41-34 by the Highlanders before the Chiefs conceded late tries in a 45-23 lesson from defending champions the Crusaders.Assistant coach Neil Barnes believes that score was unflattering and doesn’t want to alter much.”I thought the guys played well last week, as we were right in that game until the death. If we had taken our chances before that it could have been a different result,” Barnes said.”We reviewed the game and we’re happy with some of the performances hence we’ve rolled out a very similar group.”There could have been more changes but two players have been cleared of concussion symptoms – starting wing Sean Wainui and benched loose forward Mitchell Brown.The injury list is still in double figures, with two All Blacks – fullback Charlie Ngatai (knee) and lock Dominic Bird (shoulder) – scrubbed out from last week’s side while Test prop Kane Hames remains out with illness.Taranaki winger Declan O’Donnell has joined the squad to replace Tim Nanai- Williams after the Samoan international suffered a season-ending shoulder injury.”At the end of the day the strength of the team goes back to the 36th player you’ve got, and at the moment we’re using everybody,” Barnes said.”You don’t pick people you don’t trust, and we’re quietly confident the boys coming in are going to do the job for us.”Barnes is predicting a physical battle against a Blues forward pack which held sway when the teams met in a pre-season fixture in Te Kuiti.
The E Division (Linden-Kwakwani) Police Headquarters has recorded a number of successful activities and exercises in 2018 thus far.Some of these successes were highlighted during the annual presentation of the Division’s Christmas Policing Plan which was recently presented by Divisional Commander Linden Lord. It was reported that for the period January to November, several drug eradication exercises were conducted at Wisroc and West Watooka (Linden), Coomacka Mines, Five, Ten and 18 Miles (Ituni Road) and would have resulted in over 16 acres of approximately 7300 cannabis plants being destroyed.For the same period, there were reportedly five murders committed in the Division, four of which were solved by ranks attached to the Division’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID), who according to Lord, “demonstrated proactive policing and thorough investigations”.Additionally, there were 14 robberies recorded over this period, with eight cases being solved and five criminals prosecuted in connection with these crimes.As it relates to outreaches, Police in the Division have also conducted several outreach programmes and lectures at schools and communities across the Division which Lord noted were done, “as a means of fostering a better relationship with the community”.Included in these exercises, were an interactive session conducted with students of the Muritaro Primary School and another conducted by traffic ranks with youths interested in acquiring a provisional license.Traffic ranks also conducted lectures with students of the Harmony and Linden Foundation Secondary schools in Linden.The boundaries of the Division extend to the left Bank of the Essequibo River (West), Ebini River (East), Dora (North) and the left bank of the Kurupuri River (South).
GRANDE PRAIRIE, A.B. – As of 5:20 p.m. on September 9, Grande Prairie RCMP and emergency crews are on the scene of a single vehicle collision, involving a semi-truck with tanker trailer.According to RCMP, preliminary information indicates the semi-tanker unit has tipped over, causing the roadway to be blocked. The driver of the semi unit has been treated on scene by EMS, with non-life threatening injuries.RCMP is reporting that the northbound lanes are currently blocked. A detour has been established, and traffic has been re-routed to 156 Avenue or Highway 43. All other lanes are operating as normal for now, however the southbound lanes will be blocked while clean-up crews safely attend to the tanker-trailers contents. There are no leaks to the tanker, which contains sour gas.- Advertisement -Motorists are asked to reroute as delays are expected to take several hours.
Google will release a tool kit for developers next week. Consumers will have to buy a new phone to get the Google software because Android was not designed for existing handsets. Even with its market debut months away, Android looms as a significant threat to other mobile operating systems made by Microsoft Corp., Research In Motion Ltd., Palm Inc. and Symbian, which is owned by Nokia Corp. and several other major phone makers.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Contrary to reports that surfaced during months of breathless speculation, Google isn’t making cell phones, nor does it plan to put its name on the devices equipped with its software. Instead, it will work with four manufacturers and 29 other companies that have formed the Open Handset Alliance to help launch Google’s mobile software. But Google CEO Eric Schmidt hinted that the company eventually might make its own phone powered by the new software. For now, Google is focused on rallying support for Android, which relies on openly available computer code that gives equal access to all programmers. That freedom is meant to foster innovation and new uses for the sophisticated handsets known as smart phones. “You will be able to do amazing things with your mobile device that you had never thought of before,” Schmidt promised. Google Inc. wants to become as influential in the mobile market as it is on the Internet – and the online search leader thinks it can do that without sticking its prized brand on a cell phone. The Mountain View-based company provided the first glimpse at its mobile ambitions Monday with the announcement of a free software package scheduled to hit the market during the second half of next year. The system, which will control an untold number of cell phones, is designed to unify the developers of mobile applications around a common platform that makes it easier and more enticing to surf the Web on cell phones. The new package is called “Android” in tribute to a Silicon Valley startup that Google acquired two years ago to steer its secretive project. Google hopes Android opens another lucrative channel for peddling ads and services to people when they’re away from their personal computers, supplementing the revenue already pouring into the company from Internet advertising.
Voodoo Venue has scooped the IMRO Best Live Music Venue in Ulster for 2014.Voodoo VenueThe Letterkenny entertainment centre took the award for the second time in two years this evening.Voodoo Venue manager Philip Ward said they collected the award on behalf of all the staff and the bands who have made the venue the place it is today. “This award is for all the local musicians,bands and customers who make the Voodoo Lounge and Greenroom Live what it is week in and week out.‘We are delighted to collect the aard and will continue to bring top class local music to Voodoo Venue,” he said. VOODOO VENUE WINS IMRO BEST LIVE MUSIC VENUE IN ULSTER – AGAIN! was last modified: February 3rd, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BestdonegalIMROletterkennyPhilip WardVoodoo Venue
Former Irish Rugby star Tommy Bowe, Donegal captain Michael Murphy and camogie star Anna Geary who is a coach on Ireland’s fittest family, are all among a fantastic line-up of speakers due in Donegal from March 4-8 as part of this year’s Donegal Local Enterprise Week.The theme for the week is ‘Peak Performance’ and topics from engineering to food, finance to social media will be covered in an array of events in venues right around the county.The week-long programme put together by staff at Donegal Local Enterprise Office in conjunction with partner agencies, and private sector businesses, will kick-off on Monday 4th March with an oficial opening by Cathaoirleach, Seamus O’Domhnaill, when three Donegal businesses who are driving their enterprise onwards and upwards will tell their inspiring stories. Hosted by broadcaster Anton Savage, successful local businesses David Gildea of Cloud Ranger, Larissa Feeney of Accountant Online and Seamus McMenamin of Mantis Cranes will all share their experiences and they are among many local businesses in the spotlight over the week.“We have found over the years that the best way to do that is, not only to bring in a host of experienced keynote speakers, but also to include stories from businesses here who can share their experience. Our opening event is a perfect example of that,” Head of Enterprise in Donegal, Michael Tunney said.Staff from Local Enterprise Office, Donegal and partner agencies pictured at the launch of Local Enterprise Week, which this year has ‘Peak Performance’ as its theme. The packed schedule will see events in venues all over Donegal from March 4th to March 8thMonday afternoon will also see the official opening of the new Glenties Enterprise Centre, Minister Joe McHugh will be in attendance to perform the official duties.One of the highlights of the week will be the closing event – a celebration of creative industries in Donegal on Friday 8th March with the launch of the book and short film “Donegal – We Create” but there are plenty of other highlights to choose from. “Enterprise Week has been running in Donegal for many years now and the list of events has always reflected a response from the Local Enterprise Office to the needs and requirements of businesses in the county.“Whether your business is in the start-up phase or you want to move in a new direction to grow and expand, there is something among the week’s programme to suit everyone and I would urge businesses to explore the programme and make the best of these great opportunities,” the Head of Enterprise concluded.Rugby star Tommy Bowe in the scrum for Local Enterprise Week was last modified: February 12th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Business WeekdonegalLEOTommy Bowe
There will be superb LIVE music from STRINGFELLAS at Letterkenny super-pub Sister Sara’s this weekend.YOU can be in with a chance of winning a FREE €50 bar tab by simply liking and sharing this post on your Facebook timeline.STRINGFELLAS are a brilliant band and a large crowd is expected as always to descend on Sister Sara’s on Saturday to hear them perform LIVE on stage. Afterwards DJ Marty Curran will spinning all your club favourites to keep you partying until late with another super-pub DISCO right after STRINGFELLAS finish their set.See you at Sister Sara’s this weekend. 🙂 FREE €50 BAR TAB UP FOR GRABS AT LETTERKENNY SUPERPUB SISTER SARA’S was last modified: April 9th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Bar TabEntertainmentFeaturesfreeSister Sara’sSTRINGFELLAS€50
Business owners and the public around Letterkenny have been warned that fake €50 notes are in circulation around the town.The notes are of good enough quality but do not have good watermarks.The bogus notes first came to light when a local taxi-driver went to pay his car tax and found a fake €50 in his wallet. “I had a number of €50 notes in my wallet to pay my tax and I noticed this one did not look good.“I took it to the Garda station and they told me it was fake,” he said.A Garda spokesman said there could be a number of the notes in circulation.“It was a busy weekend in the town and people might have been in a rush and did not check these notes. “We believe there could be a few in circulation.“WE are asking the general public and business owners to check when they receive €50 notes. If they suspect there is anything wrong with them, then they should contact us immediately,” he said. PUBLIC WARNED AFTER FAKE €50 NOTES PUT INTO CIRCULATION AROUND COUNTY was last modified: February 6th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:fake €50 notesGardailetterkenny
Demand to learn Chinese in Donegal has officially surpassed all expectations.No less than three levels of evening classes are now being offered at Letterkenny Institute of Technology in Mandarin Chinese.Since LYIT first introduced Level One Mandarin Chinese evening classes last year, interest in the subject has been unprecedented with more than 100 pupils enrolled to learn the language. Under the directorship of teacher, Jill Murphy, almost one hundred people have become involved with Mandarin Chinese at LYIT, either through evening classes or the one week intensive programmes.The first round of Mandarin Chinese evening classes for 2013 will begin on January 24 and will cater for both Level One Beginners and Level Three. Level Two will resume later in the year and intensive weeks will run at Easter and during the Summer.There are 10 classes in each of the Level One Beginners and Level Three classes and they will be held on Thursday evenings at LYIT. Level One Class time is 5pm to 7pm (with a 15 minute break).This year, Level One will be taught by Catherine Devine. Catherine explained: “Level One is perfect for anyone who has an interest in learning Mandarin Chinese in a fun way. You will learn basic Mandarin conversation so you will be able to introduce yourself and your family, ask questions and hold a basic conversation. You will also learn some other basics and how to say and write the numbers 1 – 10.”The classes are kept small to ensure a quality lesson. The cost of the course is €150 for non-students at LYIT and €125 for students for the 10 weeks. This also includes the course text book and CD.Level Three will be taught by Jill Murphy and the first of ten evening classes will also beginon January 24 from 5.30pm to 7.30pm. Level Three classes are suitable for those who have already completed levels one and two.The past year has also seen the hosting of Letterkenny’s first ever Chinese Social evening. It took place in Hee’s Chinese Restaurant and saw more than 60 people with a shared interest in Chinese getting together for an evening of language, culture and food.Plans for the next Chinese Social Evening are already well underway and it will be heldon February 1 to mark the Chinese New Year. Jill explained: “The first social evening was such a success and we wanted to continue to have an outlet where anyone with an interest in Chinese, as well as the local Chinese community, could get together outside a classroom setting. Of course, the Chinese New Year is the perfect opportunity for a celebration and we are hoping to have another great informal evening of Chinese food, conversation and culture.”Anyone who wishes to sign up for evening classes can e-mail email@example.comA facebook page providing information of Chinese events, trips and classes can be joined at www.facebook.com/letterkenny.chineseCHINESE HAS DONEGAL FOLK SPEAKING IN TONGUES! was last modified: January 15th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Chinese MandarinlanguageLYIT
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! GORMAN – A trucker who investigators believe left the scene of a Thanksgiving Day crash in Gorman that killed a father and son has contacted the California Highway Patrol through his attorney and wants to talk with investigators. Officer Wendy Hahn of the CHP said that the driver, who was not identified, would be traveling from Northern California to speak with authorities. His attorney told Hahn that his client would appear on Monday. The driver allegedly crashed his big rig Nov. 24 into the rear of a stalled pickup truck on northbound lanes of the Golden State Freeway near Gorman, killing Jose Palomino, 41, and his 15-year-old son Julio, both of Bell Gardens. Palomino and his son had been en route to Bakersfield because the father planned to move his family there, according to Albert Lopez, a family friend. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals “There were no jobs here, so he had to move his family,” Lopez said. The victims’ 1990 pickup overturned when the 1999 Peterbilt big rig rammed into it. “The errant driver left the scene and investigators have been attempting to identify and locate him,” Hahn said. The tractor-trailer’s fuel tank apparently was ruptured in the collision. The cab caught fire on Lancaster Road after the driver exited the freeway, CHP Officer Vince Ramirez said. About 20 minutes after the crash, police got a call from a man – possibly the big-rig driver – who said his tractor-trailer had been stolen from a Pilot gas station in Castaic. When officers arrived, the man could not be found.