Dietmar Hamann has urged Liverpool to present an “honest and truthful” explanation of Daniel Sturridge’s continued absence from the first team after questioning his injury record. Hamann says Liverpool must “stop protecting” Sturridge if he is not seriously hurt. Former Reds midfielder Hamann said: “The club has got a responsibility to tell the paying public what is wrong with him. If he has got a hamstring injury, an ankle injury, or whatever he may have, the people who pay for a season ticket have got a right to know what is wrong with him. “Judging by the way Jurgen Klopp answered his questions (before the Manchester United game), I don’t think there is too much wrong with the player. If there is nothing wrong with him, it is more important to be honest and truthful with the paying public than to protect a player who has hardly played in the last 18 months, who seems to choose when he wants to play.” Hamann played alongside Sturridge at Manchester City, and saw him suffer various fitness problems. Former Germany international Hamann told talkSPORT: “If you look at his record since he has played professional football he probably doesn’t average half the games a season – and it has got worse at Liverpool. I am not saying he is pretending to be injured, I’m not sure. But if he is injured, say it. Nobody knows what is going on with him. “People have spent £800 or £1,000 to watch Liverpool at home and sometimes even away, and the star player is not playing and nobody knows where he is. If there isn’t a problem with him, then it is time to stop protecting the player.” Press Association England striker Sturridge has been absent from the Liverpool side since early December with what the club have cited as a hamstring problem. He is still not ready to make a return and will miss Wednesday’s FA Cup third-round replay against Exeter, with Jurgen Klopp’s team struggling for goals recently without the 26-year-old frontman.
For all the Latest Sports News News, Football News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. Seconds later, delirium turned to disbelief, as Guardiola sank to his knees in the realisation that VAR had revealed an offside earlier in the move.Guardiola described the exit as “cruel.”Winning the Champions League remains the grail for the club’s Abu Dhabi owners after a decade of pouring money into the club, but no one can say they were not entertained.For the much-lauded Catalan coach, though, the elimination continues a pattern of Champions League anguish since he won the title for a second time with his great Barcelona team in 2011.Guardiola’s Barca reign ended in semi-final defeat to Chelsea in 2012 and there were last four exits in each of his three seasons at Bayern Munich. The upturn in City’s standards since he arrived in 2016 is unquestionable, and they could still complete an unprecedented treble of Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup in England.However, it is for Champions League success that Guardiola was pursued so long by City, and in three attempts he has failed to even reach the semi-finals.Guardiola has consistently played down City’s potential as a European powerhouse in his three years in charge, contrasting their lack of historic success to Barca, Bayern and Real Madrid. But it is Monaco, Liverpool and now a Spurs side 16 points adrift of City in the Premier League, that have sent his expensively assembled squad packing in the Champions League. Manchester : Another season will pass without Champions League glory for Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City, but few will forget the manner in which the quest for a historic quadruple was ended by a combination of Tottenham Hotspur and VAR. Spurs survived a seven-goal thriller on Wednesday night at the Etihad, losing the battle 4-3 but winning the war on away goals thanks to their 1-0 victory in the first leg a titanic quarter-final tie.A match that saw City lead 1-0, trail 2-1, then forge ahead 4-2 to lead the tie for the first time before Fernando Llorente’s controversial decisive goal was allowed to stand after a VAR check for handball, brought one final twist in stoppage time. Guardiola scampered down the touchline in celebration when Raheem Sterling thought he had completed his hat-trick with the goal to take City into the semi-finals for just the second time.
The Badgers, with head coach Mark Johnson and 2 Olympians back in the fold, hope to improve.[/media-credit]With head coach Mark Johnson, senior forward Megan Duggan and junior forward Hilary Knight returning to the team after a year at the Olympics, the Wisconsin women’s hockey team is finally back together and hoping to get back to their winning ways.Last season Wisconsin had what could be called an off year. Missing its head coach and two offensive leaders, the Badgers played to a 18-15-3 record. After fighting all the way into the national championship the previous four seasons, Wisconsin faced a heartbreaking loss to Ohio State in the first round of the WCHA playoffs, and any further postseason hopes the squad had were squashed.“I think we learned a lot, struggling a little bit last year,” junior forward Brooke Ammerman said. “I think it’s made us tougher. We were a young team, but now we have a lot of upperclassmen and coach Johnson back and a couple Olympians, so I think we’ll be stronger.”Clearly the Badgers are more confident this year, with stronger chemistry and two more players from the 2009 National Championship team.Although Wisconsin wants to bounce back from last year, Johnson doesn’t think the team has anything to prove this season.“There were circumstances last year that not only the coaching staff, but also the players had to go through, and coming off a national championship – things happen in our world you can’t control,” Johnson said. “We’re jumping in a boat right now and we’re going fishing, but we don’t know what we’re going to catch. We’re going to have a good time and become the strongest team we can be. Some nights it’s going to look real good and other nights we’re going to have to work and it’s going to be a struggle, but that’s how you develop.”While they say they’re just trying to improve this year and become the best team they can be, the Badgers will always have hopes to go to another national championship.“That’s why we do what we do,” Johnson said. “But that’s no different from anyone else in the country. Everybody starts Friday night and everybody’s goal is to be playing in the last game at the end of the season. One of the underlying goals is to take this group of players and make them the best team they’re capable of becoming. If they’re able to win a championship, you know what, that’s awesome.”“You can’t jump ahead too far, you have to take it in baby steps,” Duggan added. “You can’t just be looking at that 40th game right now, we haven’t even played our first. That’s everyone’s dream, to win a national championship, but a lot goes into that. I’m excited to just progress and get there eventually if we can.”Friday night, No. 5 Wisconsin opens its season at the Kohl Center against Rensselaer Polytechnic.“We’re really excited,” Ammerman said. “The first game’s always the best. A bunch of parents come out, and the freshmen, it’s the first time seeing their jerseys. We’re all hungry to get back on the ice and we’re all excited because we’ve been practicing really well. It should be a strong start.”With all the pieces put back into place, the team is excited to finally get the season underway, with the first four series all at home.“Having that home ice advantage – practicing, not having to travel, getting good rest – it’s going to be good for us,” sophomore defenseman Saige Pacholok said. “We have to perform on the road as well, but we’ll take advantage of that right now.”Friday night’s season opener will be the first time UW and RPI has ever met on the ice. RPI finished last season with a 16-15-6 record and returns nine forwards along with two goaltenders.“I don’t know too much about their program,” Duggan said. “I know for some reason they won their league either last year or the year before and obviously that’s tough to do. I’m an east coast kid so I know the [ECAC] is pretty powerful. I think you can’t underestimate your opponents in any game. I think we need to bring what we bring. We need to prepare ourselves as best we can and just do what we do and not focus on what they’re doing. That’s how we’ll be successful.”
Syracuse picked up its second verbal commitment to its Class of 2015 when running back Jordan Fredericks announced his pledge to SU via his Twitter account Thursday night.Fredericks, who attends Lawrence High School in Cedarhurst, N.Y., is listed at 5 feet, 11 inches and 195 pounds on his Hudl profile with a 4.56 40-yard dash. He joins fellow tailback Tyrone Perkins, of Friends Academy in Locust Valley, N.Y., in the Class of 2015.According to a Scout.com/Cusenation.com report, Fredericks attended the Orange’s Spring Game on Saturday and chose Syracuse over offers from Stony Brook and Temple.In a highlight video on his Hudl profile, Fredericks demonstrates soft hands taking short passes out of the backfield, vision and patience for his blocks. He also has the speed to shoot through holes and get out into the open field.The Orange landed just two New York state recruits in its incoming Class of 2014, but has already matched that total in verbal pledges in its next class.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Comments Published on April 24, 2014 at 10:52 pm Contact Phil: email@example.com | @PhilDAbb Facebook Twitter Google+