(BBC) – Chicago Red Star team-mates, Julie Ertz and Casey Short, shared a tearful embrace on Sunday as the pair knelt during the American national anthem before their National Women’s Soccer League game.As the Chicago and Washington Spirit teams lined up and took a knee, Short became tearful and was supported by fellow USA footballer Ertz.Portland Thorns and North Carolina Courage players took a knee before their game on Saturday.The players also wore T-shirts reading “Black Lives Matter” before kick-off.Ex-NFL player Colin Kaepernick began kneeling during the US anthem in 2016 in protest against racial injustice.Portland and North Carolina said it was to protest against “racial injustice, police brutality and systemic racism against black people and people of colour”.The joint statement added: “We love our country and we have taken this opportunity to hold it to a higher standard.“It is our duty to demand that the liberties and freedoms this nation was founded upon are extended to everyone.”US star Megan Rapinoe, who has opted out of the tournament, said on social media: “You love to see it.“You love to see these women using their voice, demanding better for America, and for black people and people of colour.”The protest has taken renewed significance since the death of George Floyd in the United States.Floyd, a 46-year-old unarmed black man, died after being restrained by a white Minneapolis police officer on 25 May.Saturday’s match in Utah was the first time a major North American league has returned to action since the start of the coronavirus pandemic, which halted sports in March.Courage won the game 2-1, while Washington beat Chicago 2-1.
However, Boca Raton Mayor Scott Singer later clarified that there are no plans at this time to issue citations to anyone who does not follow the recommendations.Other municipalities in South Florida, particularly in hard-hit Miami-Dade County, are now requiring everyone to wear face coverings inside businesses like grocery stores, pharmacies and restaurants.Within Palm Beach County, Delray Beach and Boca Raton are among the municipalities with the most COVID-19 cases. Two cities in south Palm Beach County announced Thursday afternoon that they are recommending their residents and visitors wear face masks in public, in an effort to stop the spread of coronavirus.Boca Raton and Delray Beach took the precautionary steps within hours of each other.The actions come after the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated its guidelines this week and recommended that people wear “cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies), especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.”The Boca Raton executive order adds that people should not use surgical masks or N95-rated masks, which are “critical supplies for health care workers, police, fire, emergency management, or other persons engaged in life and safety activities.” Chrissy Gibson, the communications and marketing manager Boca Raton, says if people defy an emergency order with a mandate, authorities could issue a “notice to appear” in court.If a judge determines the person was violating the order intentionally, the individual could be charged with a second-degree misdemeanor, Gibson adds.
In case you missed it, Broward County issued a emergency order late last week requiring people to wear face coverings while on their own property. Guests must do the same.Yes, you read that correctly.Last Friday, county officials issued emergency order 20-22.Section 4A of the document states that residents of single or multi-family homes must enforce mask mandates on their property at all times, including when they have guests over.The clause itself states:Section 4. Responsibility to Ensure Compliance with Applicable Orders. A. Residential Property Residents. All persons who reside on any residential property, whether single family or multi-family, and irrespective of whether they own or rent the property, must ensure that all persons on the residential property, including guests, comply with all applicable guidelines of any Broward County Emergency Order, including the facial covering requirements. Residents who fail to ensure compliance with all applicable Broward County Emergency Orders by such persons shall be subject to the penalties set forth in Section 8-56 of the Broward County Code of Ordinances, with each person present and in violation of an applicable Emergency Order constituting a separate violation.However, Fort Lauderdale resident Chris Nelson is having none of it.Nelson, who is behind the group “ReOpen South Florida,” plans to sue the county over the requirement, which he says is unconstitutional.“What this is saying is the property owner is responsible for telling everybody, any person on that property, including family plus guests, that they have to wear a mask,” Nelson said. “So basically, if I want to have anybody come over to my house, I have to ensure they wear a mask and if I don’t and my neighbor suspects I’m not and calls the cops, I’m subject to a legal fine for not making people in my own house wear a mask. This steps way over the line.”He staged a protest against the county’s beach closures on the 4th of July, and was arrested last week at a Broward County news conference. Officials say Nelson was yelling that he felt the new curfew, face covering mandate, and other actions are an intrusion on citizens’ Fourth Amendment rights.Police ordered him to leave, claiming that he was causing a disturbance. Nelson refused to leave at first, but complied when the officer ordered him to place his hands behind his back.Residents who do not follow the mask mandate are “individually liable and subject to civil and criminal penalties” and “each person present in violation of Broward County Emergency Orders constitutes a separate violation subject to a $1,000 fine,” according to a Broward County FAQ page.Nelson goes on to say that Broward County’s order violates constitutional Fourth Amendment rights that protect people from unreasonable searches and seizures by the government. He adds that it also violates the right to privacy in peoples’ homes.“They have gone so overboard with violating the Fourth Amendment,” Nelson says. “The Constitution is still in play, even though people act like it’s not. How do they plan to enforce this without breaking the Fourth Amendment?”Rep. Anthony Sabatini plans to file the lawsuit against the county’s order this week and will represent Nelson’s cause.“I just think it’s a blatant violation of due process,” according to Sabatini. “People have a substantive right of association and reasonable expectation of privacy. This is a radical step in the wrong direction.”He believes the ordinance would allow a suspicious neighbor to call the police on anyone they suspect has more than 10 people inside their home without masks, and could give police probable cause to get a search warrant.“It’s such an invasion of privacy,” he says. “The classic case law in privacy is you have the legitimate expectation of privacy inside your own home.”The suit is the latest example of pushback against local governments’ efforts to stop or slow the spread of the coronavirus, as the state continues to report an increase in cases and deaths. Miami-Dade continues to lead the state in both categories, while Broward has the second-highest number of cases and Palm Beach County is second in terms of fatalities.
In this July 4, 2014, photo, Brazil’s Neymar screams out after being fouled during the World Cup quarterfinal soccer match between Brazil and Colombia at the Arena Castelao in Fortaleza, Brazil, Friday. The 22-year-old Neymar broke his third vertebra after being kneed in the back by Colombian player Juan Camillo Zuniga in the 86th minute of the match. (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez)BELO HORIZONTE, Brazil (AP) — Neymar and the Brazilian football confederation denied media reports that the striker could undergo special treatment on his fractured vertebra to try to play in the World Cup final if the tournament hosts make it that far.Neymar and the confederation released statements late Sunday saying that nothing that could risk the player’s health or career would be attempted to allow him to try to play if Brazil beats Germany in Tuesday’s semifinals.The statements came after the Brazilian media quoted doctors from the Brazilian club Santos, Neymar’s former team, as saying there was a chance the striker could return for Sunday’s final with alternative treatments and painkiller injections.The 22-year-old Barcelona star was ruled out of the rest of the World Cup after being kneed in the back late in Brazil’s 2-1 quarterfinal victory over Colombia.Tests conducted at a hospital shortly after Friday’s match showed a fracture in his third vertebra.The confederation said in its statement that the “the prognosis is excellent” for Neymar, but only if the injury is given the proper amount of time to heal.“Rushed measures put in risk his future life as an athlete,” the statement said.Brazil team doctor Jose Luiz Runco said Neymar is expected to be sidelined for about 45 days. He has returned home from the team’s training camp to recover.“Let’s not create an illusion to the Brazilian people,” Runco told Globo TV. “There isn’t the smallest possibility for Neymar to play on July 13 if Brazil reaches the final.”Neymar’s staff said in his statement that he remains solely under the care of the Brazilian confederation’s doctors until the end of the World Cup. It said the visit by Santos’ doctors was a “cordiality.”While the statement never directly dismissed the possibility he could play in the final, it said that “no alternative treatment was discussed.”“If Neymar becomes fit to play a professional football match before initially expected, it will be because of the positive progress of his condition through the treatment currently being administered,” the statement said.___Follow Tales Azzoni at http://www.twitter.com/tazzoni