Tag: 上海夜网WL

WHO confirms 6 new H5N1 cases in Indonesia

first_imgMay 30, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) confirmed yesterday six new cases of H5N1 avian flu in geographically widespread areas of the country, but none associated with the Karo, North Sumatra, family cluster that killed at least six people earlier this month.Of the six new cases, three have been fatal, raising the number of cases in Indonesia to 48 and the number of deaths to 36, all in 2005 and 2006, according to WHO statistics.In its report yesterday, the WHO identified a 10-year-old girl and her 18-year-old brother from Bandung, West Java, as among the fatalities. Both siblings, according to the WHO, had close contact with sick and dying chickens at their home the week before symptom onset. They showed symptoms May 16, were hospitalized May 22, and died the next day.”The identical onset dates,” the report says, “strongly suggest that [the patients] acquired their infection following a shared exposure to poultry, and not from each other.”A 39-year-old man from West Jakarta also died, according to the WHO. He developed symptoms May 9, was hospitalized May 16, and died May 19. He had cleaned pigeon droppings from roof gutters shortly before developing symptoms. Pigeons are among the bird species known to transmit H5N1.Among the other cases was an 18-year-old East Java man whose symptoms developed May 6 and who was hospitalized May 17. He had been exposed to dead chickens in his home the week before symptom onset and is now recovering, according to the WHO report. In addition, according to Reuters, he sorted chicken feathers at his job in a factory that makes shuttlecocks.The final two cases involve a 43-year-old man from South Jakarta and a 15-year-old girl from West Sumatra. The man developed symptoms May 6 and is now recovered and no longer hospitalized. The girl developed symptoms May 17 and is still hospitalized. The source of their infections remains under investigation, the WHO reported.Indonesia, which has recorded 31 human cases of avian flu and 25 deaths in this year alone—far more than any other country in 2006—continues to worry scientists, according to the Reuters news story. “Of course I am worried,” the story quotes Leo Poon, a University of Hong Kong microbiologist and H5N1 expert, as saying. “The problem has not improved at all in Indonesia. It’s not a good situation.”Redefining pandemic alert phasesIn other news, the WHO said today that it is refining its guidelines for its six-phase global pandemic alerts to make them clearer and plans to issue them in a few weeks, according to a separate Reuters report.”It was highlighted last week that there is some confusion over these phases—what we mean when we go from phase 3 to phase 4,” said WHO spokesperson Maria Cheng, as quoted by Reuters.The pandemic alert is currently at phase 3 (human infection has occurred, but there is no or rare human-to-human spread). Phase 6 signals a full-blown pandemic.”What we are trying to do is explain [it] in better terminology so that people understand [that] what we are looking for is not necessarily a numerical standard for the number of cases,” said Cheng. “We’re looking to detect any change in how the virus is transmitted.”Avian flu endemic in Africa?Because of lack of funds to combat its spread in birds, avian flu may become endemic in Africa, a senior official with the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) told Reuters today.”Africa is the continent where we are really worried to see endemicity becoming established,” FAO’s chief of animal health services, Joseph Domenech, told Reuters. “If this is the case, it will be a new plague for African farmers and will be a permanent reservoir for reinfection to other regions through trade and wild birds.”Domenech, according to Reuters, said that other countries should help Africa eradicate avian influenza.See also:WHO May 29 Indonesia reporthttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2006_05_29/en/index.htmllast_img read more

Buy a chapel

first_img4 Isabella St, Mount PerryThere’s a kitchen and bathroom, and the pulpit still exists as well as timber blinds, wall tiles and solid feature timber doors. Just $95,000 will secure you the 405sq m property which is at 4 Isabella St. 4 Isabella St, Mount PerryFOR less than $100,000 you can be the owner of a small country chapel.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home3 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor9 hours agoThe building is located at Mount Perry, a small town around 100kms west of Bundaberg.It has “residence potential”, according to Gin Gin Country Realty’s Trevor Versace.last_img read more

JX Nippon starts producing gas from Layang field off Sarawak

first_imgJX Nippon Oil & Gas Exploration Corporation said its Malaysian unit, the operator of Block SK10 offshore Sarawak started commercial gas production from the Layang field. Layang field is located approximately 7 km east of the producing Helang gas field in Block SK10, with JX Nippon holding 75 percent participation interest.Natural gas from the Layang gas field, together with natural gas from Helang gas field, will be supplied through subsea pipelines to the MLNG Tiga liquefaction plant in Bintulu, Sarawak.The initial production of natural gas and condensate from Layang Field is estimated about 12,000 boed.The MLNG Tiga project is part of Petronas’ Bintulu LNG complex and is capable of producing 7.7 mtpa of LNG. JX Nippon holds a 10 percent stake in the project.last_img read more

Sakshi Malik disappointed over not given Arjuna award

first_img SUBSCRIBE TO US WATCH US LIVE Last Updated: 23rd August, 2020 08:57 IST Sakshi Malik Disappointed Over Not Given Arjuna Award Malik, already a recipient of ‘Khel Ratna’ – country’s highest sporting honour – had applied for Arjuna but her case was rejected by the Sports Ministry after the awards committee left it to minister’s discretion Ignored for the Arjuna award, Olympic bronze medallist wrestler Sakshi Malik took to social media to express her disappointment.Malik, already a recipient of ‘Khel Ratna’ – country’s highest sporting honour – had applied for Arjuna but her case was rejected by the Sports Ministry after the awards committee left it to minister’s discretion.Weightlifter Mira Bai Chanu’s application was also rejected as she has also received the ‘Khel Ratna’ in the past.”Honourable Prime Minister @narendramodi jee and honourable sports minister @kirenrijiju jee. I am honoured that I have been conferred with the Khel Ratna. Every player dreams of getting all the awards. The athletes toil hard. I, too have a dream that I get Arjuna award. How many medals should I win to get it. Or I will not get it in my wrestling career,” she tweeted in Hindi on Saturday.Malik has been struggling very badly since her Rio exploits. Leave aside producing results at the international level, she is even struggling to get past upcoming youngsters in her category.Twice she lost to Sonam Malik during the trials for international tournaments. Malik had also claimed recently that she has got only assurances by the state government despite doing well.”So far, I have not got a plot (land) nor has a job been given to me. I had met the Sports Minister and the Chief Minister earlier, but only got assurances,” Malik had said on Thursday.Haryana Home Minister Anil Vij, however, rejected the claim.”We gave a cheque of Rs 2.5 crore the day she landed in India (after the Olympics event),” he has said.Image credits: PTI / Social Media  LIVE TV COMMENTcenter_img Written By First Published: 23rd August, 2020 08:57 IST Press Trust Of India FOLLOW USlast_img read more

LA Dodgers feel Corey Seager’s power in victory over Atlanta Braves

first_imgBut Seager led off the fourth inning with a drive into the right-field pavilion. Thompson matched him in the fifth inning and Seager did it again in the sixth, a 414-foot drive that looked a lot like the first.In the eighth, he wedged another solo shot into the seats down the left-field line, just beyond the reach of Braves outfielder Mallex Smith.The three-homer night gives Seager a team-high 12 already this season – second only to Colorado’s Trevor Story (15) among full-time shortstops (Manny Machado has 14 while splitting time between third base and shortstop). Thompson is in his shadow with nine.When the Dodgers arrived in Colorado for a three-game series beginning on April 21, Seager was hitting just .226 with one home run. Since then, he is batting .308 with 11 home runs and an increasingly-firm grip on the National League Rookie of the Year race.“I’m enjoying the ride,” Roberts said. “I’m the enjoying the development, the evolution, whatever you want to call it. To see how he prepares himself, the process – it seems like every night he’s going to do something special.“The consistency with the glove should never be overlooked. But what he did tonight – three homers and to put us on his back – it’s hard to believe he’s 22 years old. It’s something special.”Kenta Maeda isn’t a rookie in the same sense that Seager and Thompson are. But his first year with the Dodgers has been filled with ups and downs. Friday’s start qualified as an up.Maeda was touched for an unearned run in the first inning when a passed ball by Grandal moved Freddie Freeman into scoring position and Adonis Garcia drove him in with a two-out RBI single.Again in the second inning, the Braves pushed across a run against Maeda. Singles by Tyler Flowers, Teheran and Mallex Smith were good for that one.But Maeda retired 14 of the next 17 batters he faced, pitching into the seventh inning despite cracking the 100-pitch barrier for only the third time in his 11 starts. Maeda threw a season-high 107 pitches after getting an extra day between starts to rest a sore right hand (caused by a line drive back to the mound in his start at Citi Field last Saturday). The Dodgers would never label this season a youth movement. But it has become one – luckily for them.Rookie shortstop Corey Seager hit three home runs and combined with Trayce Thompson to produce all of the Dodgers offense in a 4-2 victory over the Atlanta Braves Friday night.Seager is the first Dodgers rookie to hit three home runs in a game since Don Demeter did it at the Coliseum on April 21, 1959. According to Elias Sports Bureau, the 22-year-old Seager is the sixth-youngest player in MLB history to have a three-homer game.“It was one of those nights where it doesn’t matter what he was throwing, it felt like it was on a tee,” Seager said. “You get kind of locked in. … You see everything and it’s right there at your hands.” Thompson added his own solo home run and a double, all the hits the Dodgers managed in the win over the Braves.In the bigger picture, Seager and Thompson have been carrying the Dodgers’ offense for awhile now. One or the other – each in their first full seasons in the big leagues – can claim the team lead in home runs, runs, RBI, hits, total bases (all Seager’s), slugging percentage, OPS and OPS-plus (Thompson’s).Given the frequently-somnambulant state of the Dodgers’ offense (and the ongoing slumps of more established hitters like Yasmani Grandal, Justin Turner and Carl Crawford), the prospects of an offense devoid of their 25-and-under demographic (a group that includes Seager and Thompson’s housemate, Joc Pederson) are not attractive.“Would you have thought that at the beginning of the season? Probably not,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. “To get that production offensively from these guys is great. That production from the other guys is going to come.”It didn’t come against Braves starter Julio Teheran Friday. He retired nine of the first 10 batters he faced, only a walk to Grandal marring the procession.center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

Two Donegal men jailed for their part in cross-border drug trafficking

first_imgTwo Donegal men were part of a four-man cross-border drugs gang who were jailed in the North today.All were handed prison sentences today at Craigavon Crown Court after pleading guilty to a number of drugs offences. Ramelton man Desmond “Dessie’ Enfield (34), Kieran Austin (61) from Lurgan and Darren Donnelly (33) of Sixmilecross, Omagh, all previously pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply Class B controlled drugs, while Seamus Boyce (38) of Letterkenny, previously pleaded guilty to possession of Class B controlled drugs and conspiracy to supply Class B controlled drugs.Today they were given the following sentences:• Desmond Enfield – 24 months imprisonment – 12 months to be served in prison and 12 months on licence, as well as a Forfeiture Order issued for a Audi vehicle;• Seamus Boyce – 16 months imprisonment – 8 months to be served in prison and 8 months on licence, as well as a Forfeiture Order for a Ford vehicle;• Kieran Austin – 16 months imprisonment – 8 months to be served in prison and 8 months on licence;• Darren Donnelly – 12 months imprisonment – 6 months to be served in prison and 6 months on licence.Today’s sentencing brings to a close a proactive joint investigation between the PSNI’s Organised Crime Unit and An Garda Siochana, into the importation and supply of controlled drugs.Desmond EnfieldDetective Inspector Tom McClure, of PSNI’s Organised Crime Unit, said: “On April 22, 2016 officers searched three vehicles in a layby at Derrymacash Road, Lurgan. In one of the vehicles, officers uncovered herbal cannabis with an estimated street value of £300,000 in 15 vacuum packed plastic bags in the back of one of the vehicles.“The three male occupants – Desmond Enfield, Seamus Boyce and Kieran Austin – were arrested at the scene as they were caught in the act of supplying £300k of herbal cannabis.“Further enquiries by the PSNI’s Organised Crime Unit resulted in significant evidence which proved the involvement of HGV driver Darren Donnelly in this drugs ganga. All four have now been sentenced for their role in the supply of controlled drugs by an organised crime gang operating in Derry/Londonderry and County Donegal areas.“I would particularly like to acknowledge the assistance provided by our partners in An Garda Siochana who worked closely with us in this cross-border proactive investigation. This organised crime gang were supplying large quantities of controlled drugs into the Derry/Londonderry and Donegal areas which had the potential to cause significant harm.“We will continue in our efforts to make Northern Ireland a safer place to live and work by proactively investigating and arresting people involved in serious criminality. The supply of controlled drugs by gangs is the cause of significant harm in our communities. Those who involve themselves in such criminality should expect to end up in a prison cell.“There is no place in our society for these individuals who are only interested in making money for their own personal gain at the expense of others. They do not care that their actions could end up killing people. Drugs not only affect the person taking them, their families and the community also suffer.“I would ask anyone who has any information about the use or supply of illegal drugs to contact police on the non-emergency number 101. Alternatively, information can also be provided to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, which is 100% anonymous and gives people the power to speak up and stop crime.”Two Donegal men jailed for their part in cross-border drug trafficking was last modified: March 16th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more