Tag: 上海 外菜 vx

16-year-old among virus dead in France’s highest daily toll

first_imgThe mother of France’s youngest coronavirus victim has spoken of the “unbearable” loss of her 16-year-old daughter, as the country reported its highest daily toll from the pandemic.French authorities said on Thursday that 365 people had been killed by COVID-19 over the previous 24 hours, taking the national total of those who have died in hospital to 1,696.The figure does not include those who died from the virus at home or at retirement homes, top French health official Jerome Salomon told reporters. Her condition deteriorated and her death was announced on Thursday, with health officials emphasizing that severe cases are very rare in young people.”From the start, we were told that the virus doesn’t affect young people. We believed it, like everyone else,” Sabine said. Her daughter had no known underlying health problems. The teenage girl named Julie A died in Paris, becoming the youngest French victim of the disease that more often afflicts the elderly or people with underlying health conditions.”It’s unbearable,” the girl’s mother Sabine told AFP by phone from her home in the Parisian suburbs. “We were meant to have an ordinary life.”A week ago, Julie developed a mild cough but on Saturday she began to feel short of breath, her mother said.She underwent scans in hospital and several tests for COVID-19, the disease first detected in China late last year that has now killed more than 23,000 worldwide. Train evacuation France has been in lockdown since March 17 in a bid to slow the spread of the epidemic and officials have repeatedly warned it will take time for the measures to bear fruit.Salomon said 29,155 people had tested positive for the virus so far nationwide — adding that the real number of cases was likely far higher as testing was reserved for high-risk patients.He said 3,375 patients were currently in intensive care out of nearly 14,000 people hospitalized after becoming infected.Data showed 42,000 people had been registered by their GP as having the coronavirus over the last week alone, Salomon added — again revealing that testing in France has only revealed a minority of cases.People in the country are only allowed to step outside for pressing matters, such as shopping.”It is very difficult to estimate when the peak will come… people who are ill now were infected before the confinement began,” explained Salomon.”Now there is less contact, people are going out less and get infected less. So we hope there will be fewer people getting sick next week,” he said.French President Emmanuel Macron said he had held a “very good discussion” with his US counterpart Donald Trump about the pandemic.”In response to the COVID-19 crisis, we are preparing with other countries a new strong initiative in the coming days,” he tweeted early Friday, without elaborating.The first train evacuation saw 20 coronavirus patients moved from the country’s hard-hit east to help relieve overstretched hospitals.The specially adapted high-speed train, whose carriages were transformed into intensive care units, took the group to the western Atlantic coast where they will be treated.Another evacuation is planned for Friday, this time by air. Topics :last_img read more

Six months on, health experts covet greater voice in pandemic response

first_imgTopics : The resignation of Indonesia’s top doctor from the COVID-19 task force has prompted questions as to whether the government is seriously involving health experts in its pandemic response.Urologist and professor at the University of Indonesia’s (UI) Faculty of Medicine, Akmal Taher, has tendered his resignation as the task force’s health division head, saying that he would continue contact tracing and testing — two measures he believed as essential in curbing COVID-19 — elsewhere.”It’s true that I have resigned […] For me, tracing and testing must be absolutely improved and I believe this must be done at community health centers,” he said in a discussion organized by the Center of Indonesia Strategic Development Initiatives (CISDI) on Saturday. During Saturday’s discussion, Akmal, despite acknowledging the government’s efforts to accelerate testing for a possible vaccine, said that he personally could not make any promises about vaccines being soon developed given that clinical trials were still underway.His remarks stand in stark contrast to the more optimistic outlook of some government officials who claimed a vaccine could be ready by December. A proven COVID-19 vaccine currently does not exist.Akmal said it was “quite too early” for the government to start talking about vaccine availability, even if it only intended to remind people not to lose hope.”The danger is that there are people who are misreading it,” he said, suggesting that it could result in complacency over adhering to health protocols.Read also: Efficacy and safety first: Experts urge government not to put vaccines on pedestalAkmal’s resignation came not long after President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo instructed his Cabinet members and agency heads – including Coordinating Maritime Affairs and Investment Minister Luhut Pandjaitan, Health Minister Terawan Agus Putranto and National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) head Doni Monardo – to focus on suppressing coronavirus transmission and death rates in the country’s nine hardest-hit provinces.Doni has been leading the national COVID-19 task force since March. Akmal was previously a part of the task force’s expert team.In July, when the government formed the COVID-19 handling and national economic recovery committee to streamline strategic policies on countering the pandemic, Doni retained his position as task force head while Akmal was promoted to lead the task force’s health division.The COVID-19 response task force has since been put under the committee, along with the economic recovery task force led by State-Owned Enterprises Deputy Minister Budi Gunadi Sadikin.Read also: Govt criticized for forming COVID-19 response team late in the gameChairing the committee is Coordinating Economic Minister Airlangga Hartarto, with State-Owned Enterprises Minister Erick Thohir as its executive chairperson. Among its six deputy chairs are Luhut and Terawan.Pointing to the military’s greater involvement in the country’s pandemic response, a coalition of dozens of civil society organizations has demanded that the government hand back response efforts to public health experts.Masdalina Pane of the Indonesian Epidemiologists Association (PAEI) said the task force had yet to properly implement existing guidelines and regulations on containing the disease, saying that it also had little experience in handling outbreaks.Read also: Indonesian Military deployed for coronavirus fightThe COVID-19 task force, according to a list released in April, has 72 experts in fields ranging from medicine, public health and medical device technology to laboratory diagnostics and law. Three experts are epidemiologists and four are biostatisticians.The expert team is led by Wiku Adisasmito, a professor at UI’s School of Public Health and infectious disease researcher who was part of the National Commission for Bird Flu Control and Pandemic Influenza Preparedness (Komnas FBPI).Wiku is also the COVID-19 task force’s spokesperson, after having replaced the Health Ministry’s disease control and prevention director general, Achmad Yurianto.However, three expert team members from different fields who requested anonymity said that invitations to team discussions were often last-minute, resulting in experts not being able to attend. They also said their advice on postponing the regional elections was ignored.Read also: COVID-19 now a real threat to year-end pollsOne of the experts said that “probably three out of 10″ suggestions were heard. Another expert said that the discussions were reactive as they were centered on issues that generated buzz among the public.”I feel that, now, [discussions] emphasize economic interests. Discussions remain poorly planned,” one expert said.Meanwhile, Luhut, upon being assigned by Jokowi to oversee COVID-19 control in the nine hardest-hit regions, told a press briefing on Sept. 18 that he was assisted by many “bright, young people” including epidemiologists.center_img “These are things I’ll do in any future place I work, because I think we haven’t done them.”Indonesia’s testing rate remains low, with 0.10 tests per 1,000 people over a rolling seven-day average, lower than India’s 0.71 and the Philippines’ 0.31, according to data from ourworldindata.org as of Sept. 23.Read also: Contact tracing the missing link in Indonesia’s battle with COVID-19Akmal did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but the former director of Jakarta-based Cipto Mangunkusumo General Hospital indicated that he disagreed with the current pandemic response measures.last_img read more

Santi Cazorla backs Mikel Arteta to become ‘great’ manager at Arsenal

first_imgSanti Cazorla expects Mikel Arteta to thrive at Arsenal (Picture: Getty)Santi Cazorla has backed his former team-mate Mikel Arteta to enjoy a ‘great career’ as manager of Arsenal.Ex-Gunners midfielder Arteta returned to the Emirates in December after being named as Unai Emery’s permanent replacement.The 37-year-old had spent three productive years at Manchester City as Pep Guardiola’s assistant and is one of the most highly-rated coaches in the world.Arsenal have often flattered to deceive under Arteta – although they impressed by coming from behind twice to draw with Chelsea on Tuesday – but Cazorla has tipped his compatriot to develop into a ‘great coach’.ADVERTISEMENT‘Yes, I believed he would become a manager in the future,’ Cazorla told Goal. ‘Even when I was playing with him, he showed great leadership in dressing room.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘Some say it’s a gamble for Arsenal to appoint him, but I believe it’s a reasonable challenge. He also worked as a coach under Pep Guardiola.‘I believe he can become a great coach. It’s not easy for any manager now to be like [Arsene] Wenger or [Sir Alex] Ferguson.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘I can’t anticipate how long he’ll stay at Arsenal, but I believe he can also make great career at Arsenal, and he’s a proper one for Arsenal. I hope Mikel leads Arsenal well.’Spanish midfielder Cazorla made 180 appearances for Arsenal and helped the Gunners win two FA Cups before leaving the club to join Villarreal in 2018.The latter stages of his career in north London were plagued by injuries and Cazorla says he has unfinished business at Arsenal. Arteta praises Arsenal for 2-2 against ChelseaTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Play VideoLoaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration Time 5:20FullscreenArteta praises Arsenal for 2-2 against Chelseahttps://metro.co.uk/video/arteta-praises-arsenal-2-2-against-chelsea-2093128/This is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.‘I don’t know if it’s possible or not, but I want to play one more game for Arsenal before I retire,’ the 35-year-old added. ‘It was a deep regret that I could never have a proper goodbye.‘Arsenal was the biggest club I ever played for. I’m proud that I was an Arsenal player.‘I’m especially grateful for Arsenal fans who supported me even after I left the club. I wish I can be part of the Gunners family in the future again.’MORE: Arsenal confident Sokratis will be fit for Bournemouth clashMORE: Mikel Arteta told Man City to sign Matviyenko before Arsenal talksMore: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira moves Metro Sport ReporterThursday 23 Jan 2020 7:29 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link16.5kShares Comment Advertisement Santi Cazorla backs Mikel Arteta to become ‘great’ manager at Arsenal Advertisementlast_img read more

Carter Burnett takes second in Tulsa National wrestling tournament

first_img Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comment (1) Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings Sort by: Date Rating Last Activity Loading comments… You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. 0 Vote up Vote down Jaime Elmore · 238 weeks ago Great article – thanks, Tracy! Report Reply 0 replies · active 238 weeks ago Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Carter Burnett brings home an Eagle looking trophy after finishing second at the Tulsa Nationals last weekend. by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow —  Carter Burnett of Wellington just celebrated his ninth birthday this week, and he is already making a name for himself in the youth wrestling world.  Burnett, the son of Jason Burnett and Jennifer Doerge, recently came home from the 61st annual Tulsa Nationals with a second place trophy in the 8-year-old 75 pound division. The Tulsa Nationals, held Jan. 14-16 at the Expo Square Pavilion, was not your average youth wrestling tournament. It featured some of the best young wrestlers in the country – from Texas to Oklahoma to Iowa to Pennsylvania. Over 2000 young wrestlers from ages 4 to 16 years, representing 40 states participated in the three-day event. Burnett opened the tournament losing his first match of the day to an Oklahoma wrestler named Yocham 4-3. That threw him onto the consolation side of the bracket where he had some work to do. But he kept winning an worked his way up to fight for third place. That pit him in a rematch with Yocham. This time, though, Burnett came out victorious with an overtime victory. This was Burnett pinning his opponent to win second place as captured on a computer screen shot.The tournament has an option where a third-place winner can challenge for second, and Burnett did just that. R. Kucharczk of Virginia had placed second, but Burnett would win this challenge by pinning the 8-year-old in the first 36 seconds of the first period. Thus the transfer of second-place winnings went back to him. Burnett, who started wrestling in preschool, has had quite a year. He is currently 20-1 since November and has won tournaments in Ark City, Valley Center, Derby and Goddard during the early part of this season. He had finished fourth last spring in the Kansas State Youth Wrestling tournament.  “If you are not good, you don’t go,” said Jeff DeJarnett, head youth wrestling coach of the Tulsa Nationals. “He definitely is very determined to be the best and works hard. He is scared of nothing.” DeJarnett says he wrestles bigger and older kids at practice. “I would say he definitely has the heart of a champion and does not quit and gives you his all,” DeJarnett said. “He’s the best kid I’ve seen come through this program in a lot of years.” Burnett was greeted by his cousins upon his return to Wellington with his big eagle trophy.Burnett’s cousins greeted him home after his big moment in Tulsa.Follow us on Twitter.last_img read more