Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Topics : “We now believe the increasing number of cases come from sources [of infection] that are difficult to detect. We have noted that some sources are people who do not show symptoms,” Yurianto said on Monday.He said asymptomatic carriers spread the virus through droplets when they talked, sneezed or coughed, but that they themselves did not notice they had contracted the disease.“The real picture of the data we have collected shows that there are still sources of infection out there with asymptomatic carriers among the public,” he noted, adding that “There are also those prone to being infected because they don’t wear face masks or wash their hands.”With the trajectory of the coronavirus outbreak not showing any signs of slowing, the government declared last week a nationwide public health emergency and implemented large-scale social restrictions aimed at curbing transmission of the virus. Indonesia’s death toll from the novel coronavirus disease topped 200 on Monday, with the government voicing particular concern about transmission from asymptomatic carriers as the number of positive cases continue to rise.Health Ministry Disease Control and Prevention Director General Achmad Yurianto said 218 new cases had been confirmed on Monday, bringing the country’s tally to 2,491 following the testing of 11,242 samples nationwide.As many as 209 people have died of the contagious disease while 192 have recovered so far. Among the measures, the government has ordered people to stay at home and not to go to schools, offices, places of worship or public places.Some regions, such as Bandung in West Java, Balikpapan in East Kalimantan and Tegal in Central Java, are temporarily closing major roads and introducing curfews as rising number of cases begin to be recorded in provinces outside Java.Jakarta, the national epicenter of the outbreak, recorded on Monday 101 new cases, taking the number of confirmed cases in the city to 1,232 — more than half of the country’s overall tally.West Java, the second-hardest hit region among the country’s 32 virus-hit provinces, has reported 263 confirmed cases as of Monday, followed by East Java with 189 cases, Banten with 187 cases and Central Java with 132 cases.With many health workers also being infected, the government is working to ramp up production of personal protective equipment amid an increasing shortage.Yurianto has also called on members of the public to wear face masks when outside their homes, explaining that cloth masks would suffice to prevent transmission.”Surgical masks and N95 masks are only for health workers. We can just use masks we make on our own, no less than four hours every day, and we have to wash them with soap,” he said.
The Indonesian Embassy in Cairo said in a statement on Sunday that the special flight would also be used to repatriate around 80 Egyptian citizens who were now stranded in Bali and Jakarta back to their country.The voluntary repatriation was due to the closure of international flights in Egypt since March 19. The Indonesian Embassy and the Egyptian government agreed to provide the special flight — bound for Bali and Jakarta — and charged US$700 for each ticket.“Initially, there were 100 [Indonesian] citizens who were interested to participate in the voluntary repatriation,” said Indonesian Ambassador to Egypt Helmy Fauzy.He said the number dropped to 75 after the embassy announced that the repatriation was only for those who had urgent matters at home. Topics : On the same day, 37 Indonesians departed Vietnam’s Tan Son Nhat International Airport in Ho Chi Minh City using Vietjet Airlines flight VJ888.They had been stranded in the country for the past month due to travel restrictions imposed by the Vietnamese government to curb the spread of COVID-19.The special flight cost $278 per seat — a discount from the normal fare of $385 — and carried Indonesian citizens who had visited Vietnam for internships, traveling as well as workers who had been laid off.The Indonesian Embassy in Bangkok, with the help of national flag carrier Garuda Indonesia, repatriated 66 Indonesians on Friday. Most of the Indonesians were embassy interns or exchange students. The embassy previously facilitated the repatriation of 356 Indonesians in Thailand following the Thai government’s decision to ban flights from April 4 to April 30.A day earlier, the Indonesian Embassy in Colombo also facilitated the repatriation of 335 Indonesian migrant workers in Sri Lanka.The embassies said the repatriations were conducted accordingly with standardized health protocols.The government has yet to issue a statement regarding the handling of the returnees upon their arrival in Jakarta or Bali, and whether they will be allowed to return to their hometown after domestic flights and other inter-provincial means of transportation were halted due to a mudik (exodus) ban that will be in place until June 1. With the help of diplomatic missions abroad, dozens of Indonesian citizens have been repatriated in the past week following flight restrictions imposed in some countries because of the COVID-19 pandemic.Although the government has stated there was no policy for structured repatriation, the stranded citizens — most of whom were short-term visitors — were eager to come home at their own expense.On Sunday, at least 75 Indonesians who had been stranded in Egypt arrived in Jakarta via a special Air Cairo flight. The returnees included migrant workers, students as well as those who visited the country for training and traveling.
Australia and New Zealand are committed to introducing a shared travel zone as soon as it is safe to do so, Prime Ministers Jacinda Ardern and Scott Morrison said.The two leaders agreed to commence work on a trans-Tasman COVID-safe zone that will ease travel restrictions between Australia and New Zealand, they said in a joint statement Tuesday. Earlier Ardern attended Australia’s National Cabinet meeting via video link to discuss the zone and other aspects of the fight against COVID-19.New Zealand and Australia have both had success in containing COVID-19 and avoided the exponential growth in cases seen in many other countries. As they look to relax lockdown restrictions, the focus has shifted to reigniting their economies and both would benefit if they could open the borders to each other’s tourists and business travelers. Topics : “Building on our success so far in responding to COVID-19, continuing to protect Australians and New Zealanders remains an absolute priority,” the prime ministers said. “We will remain responsive to the health situation as it develops.”The travel zone would be put in place once it is safe to do so and necessary health, transport and other protocols had been developed and met, to ensure the protection of public health, they said. Officials will work with business leaders from both nations as the plan develops.“A trans-Tasman COVID-safe travel zone would be mutually beneficial, assisting our trade and economic recovery, helping kick-start the tourism and transport sectors, enhancing sporting contacts, and reuniting families and friends,” the two leaders said. “We need to be cautious as we progress this initiative. Neither country wants to see the virus rebound so it’s essential any such travel zone is safe.”
Topics : Since then it has announced job cuts, reduced inventories and picked a new chief executive among a series of changes, while it is also responding to the pandemic which contributed to a 41% drop in sales.”It has been a challenging period with our dealers and factories closed due to COVID-19, in addition to aligning our sales with inventory with the associated impact on financial performance as we reposition for future success,” Stroll said.The firm’s half-year pre-tax loss of 227 million pounds compares to a loss of 80 million pounds in the same period last year. Revenue fell by nearly two thirds to 146 million pounds.The company said it had identified an accounting error in its U.S. region, meaning the firm’s loss was slightly deeper in 2019 with a reduction in earnings before interest and tax of 15.3 million pounds.Aston’s first 4×4 is central to its turnaround plans as it enters a lucrative segment of the market in a bid to widen its appeal, including to more female buyers.”We’re pleased with how it’s developing,” finance chief Ken Gregor told Reuters. Carmaker Aston Martin, which has changed its boss and brought in a billionaire investor this year, posted a deeper first-half loss of 227 million pounds ($293 million) on Wednesday amid a slump in sales.Its main factory, which closed during the lockdown, is not due to reopen until the end of August as the firm focused on resuming production at a new site in Wales, where its first sport utility vehicle, the DBX, rolled off the line this month.Renowned as James Bond’s carmaker of choice, the firm has had a difficult time since floating in 2018 as it failed to meet expectations and burnt through cash, prompting it to give a stake to a consortium led by billionaire Lawrence Stroll.
NewsRegional CARICOM official warns about duty free access for EU goods by: – July 6, 2012 Tweet Sharing is caring! Share CARICOM official warns about duty free access for EU goods.KINGSTON, Jamaica – Despite recent assurances by Alexander Walford, policy officer in charge of Caribbean-European Union trade relations fears about revenue loss were misguided, Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Secretary General Irwin LaRocque has raised concerns about Europe’s demand to reduce customs duties on their goods coming in to this region.Speaking to the media during a meeting at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, New Kingston, the Guyana-based Secretary General said Caribbean Forum countries (members of CARICOM plus the Dominican Republic) should not sit back and allow the European Union (EU) to push countries into honouring their obligations under the European Partnership Agreement (EPA).Under the agreement, signed in 2008 between the Caribbean Forum (CARIFORUM) and the EU, CARIFOUM countries agreed to start the reduction of customs duties on a number of catergories of Euroipean goods by January 2011. However, according to a report out of Belgium last week, the EU has been growing impatient with the pace at which this is progressing.LaRocque told the media that the CARICOM secretariat was assisting member states of in “getting the correct legislation drafted” but noted that the bigger problem was that member states feared loss of revenue from lowering the tariffs.“But the EU has sounded out and it is an international obligation,” said LaRocque. “It’s an obligation that was entered into by the community by the member states who signed on to the EPA. And the EU has raised it. They have heard of the (fiscal) challenges that are being faced by members. They have not taken any action on it. I think they are making some soundings which we must listen to and be a little more certain in trying to do what we are supposed to do,” he added.He said the secretariat, which has an EPA unit comprised of four highly skilled persons, was “very much involved” in discussions on the reduction in duties and working constantly with member states.“It is an issue that all the member states derive a substantial amount of revenue from their tariffs. That is why in the EPA there is a provision that talks about restructuring your internal taxes, but they are not in tandem with each other. There is a horizon of some longer period to do that,” said LaRocque.Caribbean 360 News 45 Views no discussions Share Share
Cheltenham and Punchestown Festival winner Killultagh Vic gets the chance to demonstate his capabilities over fences when contesting the Irish Stallion Farms EBF Beginners Chase at Fairyhouse. Not surprisingly, given he began life in the point-to-point fields, the six-year-old is viewed as one of this season’s most exciting prospects for staying novice chases. Willie Mullins’ charge certainly couldn’t be faulted on the score of consistency in his hurdling days, with his three wins including the Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys’ Hurdle at Cheltenham and the three-mile Grade One at Punchestown. Ruby Walsh takes the reins on Killultagh Vic for just the third time competitively in the 11.30am curtain-raiser and while two miles might be on the sharp side, his class should see him through. This event is also notable as Ferdy Murphy’s son Barry begins in the training ranks with the Mikey Fogarty-partnered Robin Des People. Half-an-hour later Mullins could strike again with Roi Des Francs in the Promote Your Business At Fairyhouse In 2016 Beginners Chase. Gigginstown House Stud’s retained rider Bryan Cooper prefers Roi Des Francs over Sub Lieutenant in the three-mile contest. Troytown runner-up, Georges Conn, and the long-absent graded hurdler, Our Vinnie, are others to catch the eye. Ruby Walsh will pull on the Hurricane Fly silks of George Creighton when French-import Allblak Des Places starts off in the Book Online At fairyhouse.ie 3-y-o Maiden Hurdle. The Full Of Gold gelding is likely to make his presence felt after a couple of placed efforts in France. Avichi is a half-sister to the legendary ‘Fly,’ and she goes for Mullins under Colin Motherway in the Irish Stallion Farms European Breeders Fund 4-Y-O Fillies INH Flat Race. Cherry Bomb and Commeragh Trix will justifiably have their followers for this finale as well. Press Association