Twenty six out of 30 students from Super-30 coaching institute in Patna have cracked the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology-Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE), whose results were declared on Sunday.“This year, the result of Super-30 is a bit less than 100%. 26 out of 30 students have cracked IIT-JEE but still I’m happy for the students and their families”, founder of Super-30 and mathematician Anand Kumar told The Hindu.The institute, since its inception in 2002, has been coaching underprivileged children to enter the IIT, even giving them free food and accommodation. A total of 422 students out of 480 from Super-30 coaching institute have qualified in IIT-JEE since it was started. For the last four years, all 30 students from Super-30 qualified.Mr. Kumar has been featured in several national and international magazines, newspapers and documentaries for his work. His younger brother Pranav Kumar, mother and other family members help him run the institute. Recently, a Bollywood a biopic titled Super-30 starring Hrithik Roshan was announced.
OTTAWA – Federal officials asked the auditor general earlier this year to adjust the scope of his review of a key Indigenous skills training program, fearful the audit would miss its mark.Michael Ferguson’s teams are focused on how effective two Indigenous employment programs are at helping people find work — a measure that Employment and Social Development Canada argued takes too narrow a view.In a July 14 letter sent to the lead auditor, a department official argued a change in focus was needed because zeroing in on whether participants got jobs “may not fully consider the objectives of the Indigenous labour market programs.”The letter urged Ferguson’s team to change its audit plan to “reflect the objective of continuous growth and learning,” reads the letter obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act.The documents say the department expected to get its first look at the preliminary report this week.A spokesman for Ferguson said the letter is part of regular discussions about an audit’s design to make sure the findings and recommendations are useful for the government.“Ultimately, in accordance with our regular audit process, we obtain acknowledgment of the suitability of the criteria used in each audit from the audited entity’s management,” Vincent Frigon said in an email.Neither Frigon nor the department would say what happened after the concerns were raised, citing confidentiality until the audit is public.Ferguson’s auditors are looking at how the department managed, delivered, and monitored programs, but also how it has reported results since April 2010, almost a year after the Aboriginal skills and employment training strategy and the Skills and Partnership Fund were launched.The department says that over the last seven years, both programs have helped over 350,000 Indigenous people, with almost 133,000 landing a job and more than 60,000 going back to school.The strategy is set to expire in the coming months and the Liberals have promised to have a new program in place by April, a few weeks before Ferguson’s review is expected to come out in May.Indigenous and non-Indigenous groups, such as schools, have also argued that a new jobs strategy should provide more money for groups delivering training programs and focus on the fast-growing cohort of Indigenous youth.A key request from Indigenous groups is to shift the focus to building employment skills, including for those already in the workforce, rather than measuring success by whether someone in the program lands a job.The government expects that over the next decade, about 400,000 young Aboriginals will join the workforce, adding to the almost 900,000 already of working age.
VICTORIA, B.C. — Peace River South MLA Mike Bernier says he’s not happy about some of the recommendations made by Attorney General David Eby in a report on the upcoming provincial referendum on proportional representation, which is due out this fall.Bernier said that the report shows that the NDP has “stacked the deck” in favour of B.C. residents to vote in favour of the province adopting proportional representation during the upcoming referendum. Bernier, who has come out against getting rid of the current First Past The Post system, claims that Premier John Horgan broke a promise after saying that the referendum would consist of a simple ‘yes or no’ question.“They broke their promise on how they were going to do this referendum. Now they’ve made it more rigged where its really convoluted and confusing for people. They have not provided any time for groups to really formulate and understand what it’s about. There’s no maps that are showing how the boundaries might change. It’s a completely manipulated process.” Bernier said he feels that the current timeline that has been adopted by the provincial government is too short. He said that the previous Liberal government allowed for over a year ahead of the last referendum on electoral reform, which was held in conjunction with the 2009 provincial election. During that referendum, just under 61 percent of voters rejected the proposal for the province to switch to the Single Transferable Vote method of voting. That referendum followed on the heels of another referendum during the 2005 election, when 57 percent of residents voted in favour of STV, which was below the required threshold. Bernier also says that during previous referendums, there have been regional thresholds that have meant that the referendum would not pass if the initiative did not receive enough favourable votes in rural areas of the the province. He added that the NDP have not set any minimum thresholds for different regions, meaning that rural areas of B.C. could be out-voted based simply on the number of eligible voters who live in the Lower Mainland.
There will be no access to media of the dive area or to the divers.Updates will continue to be provided by News Release and on the Manitoba RCMP social media accounts.GILLAM, M.B. – Manitoba RCMP are sending an underwater recovery team to the Nelson River near Gillam.The RCMP are still searching for the Gillam area for Bryer Schemeglsky and Kam McLeod. The two were last seen in the area on July 22, 2019.The RCMP’s Underwater Recovery Team will arrive in Gillam Saturday night and will start searching the Nelson River on Sunday.There is no official word on why the dive team was called in, but a reporter with the Globe and Mail tweeted the following. While driving north from Fox Lake Cree Nation on PR 290 this aft @RenataDAliesio and I were turned back by RCMP. A rowboat the police found banged up in the Nelson River May have spurred them to bring in a dive team. Renata’s story: https://t.co/9QAdL2ZI57#canadamanhunt pic.twitter.com/5wwEwsM8GG— Melissa Tait (@meltait) August 4, 2019The RCMP say members of the team are highly trained and have access to a range of advanced equipment to assist in their underwater searches.Earlier this week the RCMP announced they would scall back the search for Schmegelsky and McLeod in Northern Manitoba. In the next Province, the OPP have been investigating several tips that the pair is now in that Province. So far the OPP have not been able to confirm the tips. UPDATE – As the search for Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmeglsky continues, we are able to provide the following update.On Friday afternoon, RCMP officers searching from a helicopter, located a damaged aluminum boat on the shore of the Nelson River.Based on this new information, five members of the RCMP Underwater Recovery Team (URT) were immediately deployed. They arrived in Gillam on Saturday, August 3rd, and are expected to conduct a thorough underwater search of significant areas of interest today. Police continue to stress, that if you believe you’ve seen Kam McLeod and Bryer Schemelsky, contact your local police department immediately or 911. Sightings have been posted to social media before being shared with the RCMP, that has caused delays in the investigation.According to MyGrandePrairieNow.com, the RCMP have confirmed the pair were seen in a Fairview Gas Station on July 20. The sighting was not reported to the RCMP until several days later. This is the second confirmed sighting of the pair in Alberta.The last confirmed sighting of the pair was on July 22 in Gillam Manitoba. The pair are wanted in connection with three homicides in Northern B.C. that all occurred during the week of July 15, 2019.
Paris: Middle-income households are disappearing in developed countries around the world, according to a new study by the Paris-based Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). The study, titled “Under Pressure: The Squeezed Middle Class”, laid out a litany of problems affecting middle-income households, warning that “this could have serious consequences for nations’ economic growth and social fabric”, CNN reported on Thursday. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscal”Today the middle class looks increasingly like a boat in rocky waters,” OECD Secretary-General Angel Gurría said in a statement. “Governments must listen to people’s concerns and protect and promote middle-class living standards.” According to the study, the share of people in middle-income households in developed countries fell from 64 per cent in the mid-1980s to only 61 per cent by the mid-2010s. However the declines were larger in several countries, including the US, Israel, Germany, Canada, Finland and Sweden, it added. Also Read – Food grain output seen at 140.57 mt in current fiscal on monsoon boostIn the US, just over 50 per cent of the population is middle class, much smaller than most other developed countries. The report considers households earning between 75 per cent and 200 per cent of the median national income as middle class. Rising income inequality is part of the reason for the trend. Over the past 30 years, median incomes in OECD countries increased a third less than the average income of the richest 10 per cent, the report found. At the same time, costs are going up faster than inflation in the world’s richest economies – making it harder for the middle class to keep up. Home prices, in particular, have been growing more than a third faster than median household income in recent decades. The middle class spent 32 per cent of their budgets on housing in 2015, compared to 25% in 1985. In the study, the OECD offers some suggestions for addressing the middle class squeeze, many of which match the talking points of progressive US candidates, CNN reported. They include lowering taxes on the middle class and increasing them on the wealthy, developing more affordable housing, helping young adults build wealth, containing the cost of education, child care and health and improving workers’ skills and training.
Mumbai: The rise in banks’ profitability, thanks to a steady decline in dud assets, can give a 0.60- percent boost to GDP in fiscal 2020, says a report. This will be possible due to the rise in profits on the back of a decline in credit costs, which is the money that banks set aside to deal with bad loans, will help banks lend more money to productive purposes, it said. “The fall in credit costs implies a positive supply impact of 1.40 percent to credit growth, which can boost real investment growth by 2 percent and real GDP growth by 0.60 percent financial year,” a report by American brokerage Goldman Sachs said Monday. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscalThe Reserve Bank earlier this month pegged FY20 GDP print at 7.2 percent, down 20 bps from its February forecast. The brokerage estimates credit costs as a proportion of the total outstanding loans will nearly halve to 1.20 percent in FY20 from the peak of 2.30 percent in FY18. In absolute terms, the fall will be to the tune of Rs 1.9 lakh crore from Rs 3.3 lakh crore. Credit growth has already been coming in at a multi- year high for the last few fortnights, and printed at 13.24 per cent for the fortnight to March 29. Also Read – Food grain output seen at 140.57 mt in current fiscal on monsoon boostThe brokerage report said for the past nine years, the banking system has grappled with non-performing assets, where ballooning credit costs impaired their capital, constrained credit supply, and was associated with a decline in credit and investment growth. Improvements in credit supply will now more likely stem from an improvement in banks’ profitability on a normalisation of bank credit costs, it said. This will be achieved on the back of more benign trends in stress loans and the healthier NPA provisioning ratios that “proactive policies have engendered over the past two years”, it said. The report said boost to credit growth can be higher if credit costs are lower, banks continue to substitute away from bonds into credit to the real economy, or raise more capital than the baseline. However, on the flipside, growth can be impacted by up to 0.15 percent if some of the assumptions do not come true, it warned.
TRIPOLI – Fresh clashes erupted Tuesday in the southern Libyan city of Sebha pitting supporters of slain dictator Moamer Kadhafi against government forces and former rebels, a military source said.The latest fighting was sparked by the arrival of government reinforcements who aim to dislodge the Kadhafi supporters from several positions they occupy in and around the desert city, said Al-Ferjani Akila, of the Sebha Operations Centre.There was no immediate word on casualties. “Clashes are taking place between the army and former rebels from Misrata on one side and supporters of the old regime on the other,” he said.The coastal city of Misrata saw some of the bloodiest combat of the eight-month uprising that toppled Kadhafi, who was captured and killed by rebels in October 2011.At least 88 people have been killed and 130 wounded over the past two weeks in fighting between rival tribes in Sebha.The fighting initially pitted the Arab Awled Sleiman tribe against members of the Toubou, a non-Arab ethnic group that has long complained of being marginalised by Tripoli. The Awled Sleiman have also clashed with other Arab tribes.Kadhafi loyalists have taken advantage of the chaos to launch repeated attacks on the city’s Tamenhant air base, according to local officials.
Megan Rapinoe (center) and Abby Wambach (right) speak to OSU women’s soccer coach Lori Walker during an OUAB event on March 28 at The Ohio Union. Credit: Samantha Hollingshead | Photo EditorTwo of the most prominent American female athletes visited Ohio State on Monday night to discuss a wide variety of topics in a crowded Archie Griffin Grand Ballroom at the Ohio Union. The event, put on by OUAB, featured former U.S. Women’s National Team forward Abby Wambach and current midfielder Megan Rapinoe. The duo sat down with OSU women’s soccer coach Lori Walker for a talk about women’s rights, gay rights and Wambach’s retirement. Those in attendance listened to the moving words and topics that the athletes presented. Wambach and Rapinoe are coming off a FIFA Women’s World Cup title, the third in U.S. history. The duo described their feelings when meeting President Barack Obama and riding on floats through New York City for their championship ticker-tape parade.However, these women had a much larger message to leave with students.Both Rapinoe and Wambach have come out as lesbian in recent years, and wanted to let people who are struggling with their sexuality know it is OK to be gay. The World Cup champions described the points in their life when they discovered they were gay, and the triumphs and struggles they encountered while doing so.Wambach said she plans to release a book toward the end of the year describing not only her successes in life, but also her failures and darkest moments. The all-time leading goal-scorer in the history of international women’s soccer said she will open up in ways that no one knows about, and that some of the details in the book might be shocking to some readers. Even so, Wambach said she is not scared about unleashing this information, and she is completely comfortable with who she is.For the first time publicly, Wambach announced she will join former U.S. women’s soccer player Brandi Chastain and donate her brain for concussion research. Rapinoe said she would follow suit, as well, although she noted she doesn’t use her head quite to the extend Wambach does. Rapinoe talked about her engagement and upcoming marriage to singer-songwriter Sera Cahoone and her excitement surrounding the event. The USWNT winger was recently inducted into the National Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame and is a large proponent of the LGBT community.Rapinoe said she feels that her advocacy role is not only about the story of her own sexuality, but to make other people of the LGBT community feel comfortable with who they are and to “be your best you.”Throughout the discussion, Wambach touched on her recent retirement from soccer, and what her future plans are both in life and in the realm of the game. The 35 year-old said she knew it was time for her to retire when then-teammate Kelley O’Hara came in as a substitute and scored a goal against Germany in the semifinal of the 2015 World Cup. Wambach said at that moment she felt that she could leave the team after being a leader and member since 2001 and it would be “in good hands.”The former teammates in Wambach and Rapinoe remain great friends, and Wambach said she plans to remain involved in the game of soccer, specifically with the USWNT. The champions will also drive to become even bigger advocates within the LGBT community and always remind people to not care and to be happy with who they are.A full story about Rapinoe and Wambach’s decision can be read here.